Lilith

Once we rush into the hospital Nico runs to the front desk. "Excuse me! My daughter was brought in here with her babysitter. Her name is Rachel!" Nico says distressed.

I want to comfort him. Even though my house was destroyed not only hours before I still want to be here for him. His daughter is sick and he wasn't there for her. Besides I can call the police from here.

"Um Yes." The woman behind the counter says typing on her computer. Nico taps his foot impatiently. I rest my hand on his arm and he glances over at me.

"It's going to be okay." I nod slightly. He sighs and whispers a thank you.

"Yes, she's in room 219." The woman looks between the both of us with a small smile. Nico doesn't waste any time as he rushes down the hallway. Following behind him my heart speeds up. I have no idea what the woman on the phone said about Rachel. I just hope she's okay.

Once we reach the room we see the doctor talking to the crying babysitter. Rachel is laying on a hospital bed.

"Are you the father?" The Doctor asks. Nico nods his head as he looks at his daughter through the glass.

"We pulled up some records and it seems she has the same disease as her mother." The doctor frowns.

As the doctor explains to Nico what's wrong with his daughter I stand there awkwardly. I have no idea what there talking about. After all, I don't know anything about Rachel's mother. I know it's bad from the look on Nico's face.

He looks pained and tired as the doctor's lips move. "Will she be okay?" Nico asks the doctor as his voice cracks.

"Yes. As long as she starts her treatment now, she won't have any long-term effects. There is no cure for it though." The doctor says with a serious tone.

"I'll leave you to visit your daughter." The doctor nods and walks away.

Nico walks into the room and I watch him from the window. He kneels beside her pale body and breaks down. Tears fall down his eyes and he takes her hand into his. It hurts to see him like that.

Not knowing if I should walk in or not I turn towards the woman from the other day. "Why are you here. Aren't you the lady from the bakery?" She scrunched up her face.

"I'm here with Nico. It's none of your business why I came with him." To be honest I was fucking him in a Ferris wheel while his daughter was in the hospital. I feel so bad. I mean what if he starts to blame me. I will understand if he never wants to see me again.

Deciding not to just stand here I knock on the hospital room door. Nico looks up at me with swollen eyelids. "Can I come in?" I question. He nods and I walk over to him.

I bend down next to her bed and take him into my arms. "I didn't catch everything the doctor said, but I'm sorry," I whisper.

"She has Mediterranean fever. Same thing her mom had before she died. I guess it passed down to her. If not treated immediately she could have symptoms like fevers." My heart breaks for him. I don't know much about it.

"I'm sorry Nico. I shouldn't have distracted you." I frown.

He takes my face into his hands and looks deep into my eyes. "It's not your fault. I had a great time with you today. This isn't anyone's fault.

Rachel's eyes start to open. Putting some distance between me and her father I sit on the chair. "D-Dad, where am I" she questions.

"You're in the hospital Rach. You had a fever so the sitter took you here." Nico explains. She squints her eyes as she looks around the bright room. Then they land on me.

"Why is she here?" She raises an eyebrow with wide eyes.

"Your dad was getting you some cupcakes from our bakery. I heard him on the phone and volunteered to drive him here." I lie with a tight-lipped smile.

"Oh. Well, when can I leave?" She asks.

"I have to ask the doctor." Nico stands next to her and kisses the back of her hand. "I was so worried Rach.

"I'm fine dad." She smiles and it warms my heart. She's not fine though. Why am I here? I feel like I'm watching something I shouldn't. I mean who knows if Rachel wants me here or not. Nico and I aren't dating or anything.

"Listen Nico I'm going to head home." I stand from the chair. He turns towards me and grabs my arm.

"Can I talk to you out in the hallway?" He pleads. Nodding my head we walk out where Rachel can't hear us.

"You can't go back home. It's a wreck and will take days to get cleaned back up. Plus I feel uneasy letting you go back when we haven't caught the guy who did it." He says looking deep into my eyes.

"Well, I have nowhere else to go. Plus I can call Alec to come over and-" I start, but he stops me.

"You can stay with me until they get your house cleaned and find the guy," Nico announced.

"I-I can't. I mean what will you tell Rachel?" I question. Not to mention me living with him will lead him to find out I'm pregnant.

"I can tell her I hired you to be our cook." He says nervously.

I am a good cook and cooking for them both every day would be fun, but she might not buy that excuse.

"Are you sure you want me to stay with you? I mean I can stay with a friend." I bite my lip while fumbling with my fingers.

"Yes, I'm sure." He smiles.

"I'll head over to your house in an hour and we can take your clothes to mine." He says.

"Okay! I'll wait for you out here." I turn him back around by his shoulders. "Now go be with your daughter." I look to Rachel who is watching us through the glass.

"Okay baby." He walks back into the room and I sit in a hallway chair.