monster in disguise

You sharply inhaled through your nose as the unfamiliar feeling increased.

"Of course, Reiner."

He extended his hand as his fingers formally laced inbetween yours to lead you across the ballroom floor.

You both stood a few inches away from eachover as you curtseyed, your eyes fluttering to a close before feeling one of the Reiner's hands slip around your waist, pulling your body against his.

Reiner's fingers were slender and long; his hands were firm around you. Reiner placed your hand against his shoulder. His other hand trickled along the skin of your arm, lacing around your finger tips.

Reiner danced in calm movements, swaying you to the beats of the slow music. You felt yourself get caught up in the moment, struggling to concentrate on anything but the feeling of the blonde male.

Your heart raced beneath your dress, "Thank you."

"What for?" His head tilted, his calm demeanour staying the same.

"For.. dancing with me. I've been sat with my father for a few hours now - a few minutes more and I would've gone insane.." You forced a small laugh, feeling Reiner extend his arm to spin your body around, the ends of your dress floating up in the air.

Reiner softly laughed: "I could tell. You're awful at hiding your emotions.. you always have been."

"Oh, really now?"

"Of course, I can read you like a book."

You hummed in response as Reiner twirled you once more, a carefree beam on his expression.

You felt your body drift away with sensations as Reiner pulled your figure even closer against his. You watched his hazel eyes flutter down bashfully to the floor, his cheeks ablaze in colour.

"Where have you been all evening, anyway?" You asked him, trying to distract your mind from how close his body was to yours.

Reiner took a moment, glancing towards the direction of Eren Yaeger who was watching you both like a hawk: "Talking with Eren."

"About what?"

His brows twitched together with a hint of defence as he spoke: "Nothing to do with you."

Not satisfied with his answer, you furrowed your brows: "About what?"

Reiner rolled his amber eyes whilst sighing slowly, reluctant to spill his secrets.

"He was asking about you - about us." His voice lowered, "He wanted to know how our relationship was going, and how serious we were. I told him that he should focus on his own relationships, and I made it clear that you're mine."

"Playing the overprotective boyfriend - impressive work." You smirked subtly, watching his expression shift into a half-smile: "Maybe I should try and play that part with Christa, too."

"You already are - I've seen the way you act when me and Christa are together." He whispered; you felt his hands tighten around your waist and hand as his body moved slower to the beat of the music, "You can't stand the way she talks to me. When she put her hand on my arm yesterday during meal-time, you looked as though you could have killed her."