love-sick

Reiner, tiredly yawning into the palm of his hand, used the blade of his shoulder to pry open the hollow doors to the Mess Hall. Reiner's piercing gaze searched the area, seeking out his friends. However, he was left with a surprise as he realised that one person was missing from the table.

"Where is Y/N?" Reiner asked his friends before even acknowledging them with a 'good morning'.

"Bed-ridden." Jean Kirschstein replied with a mouthful of food, "I tried to wake her this morning, but she looked awful. She said she felt awful, too, so Levi has ordered for her to stay in bed all-day."

"Oh, really?" The blonde-male squinted with genuine concern in his tone, "I didn't know."

Christa pressed her hands on the wooden bench that she was comfortably sat on, shifting her petit figure across to give Reiner room. She offered him a warm, courteous smile as she gestured out her hand.

"Thank you, Christa, but you don't have to make room for me." Reiner shook his head dismissively, "I'll go and bring Y/N something to eat."

"Seriously?" Jean, knowing the truth behind yours and Reiners facade, asked with genuine curiosity, "You're going to take her something to eat? That's.. considerate of you."

"Sure," Reiner's broad body shrugged nonchalantly, "She'll need her strength if she's going to get better."

"Reiner?" Christa's soft voice interrupted as she gestured towards the empty seat once again: "I think that rest is the most important thing Y/N needs right now. You should stay - breakfast this morning has been delicious!"

"Later." He raised his large hand, stepping away from the table, "She's alone in her dormitory right now with nothing to do - I'll keep her company."

"Then, someone else can keep her company." The blonde girl abruptly snapped: the attention of the table drifting onto her sudden outburst, "I'll do it!"

"Huh?" Connie leant forward curiously, raising his brow.

"Christa?" Ymir draped her arm across the pretty girls shoulder with an awkward expression, "I think that what Reiner is trying to say is that he wants to spend some time with his girlfriend. Take the hint, honey."

Now feeling defeated, Christa lowered her head and apologised for her unusual behaviour.

༺♰༻ 

Your eyes cracked open to the stroke of dawn that morning, instantly feeling as if something was dragging you down into your own bed: like there were one-thousand weights strapped to your entire body. 

You groaned a little, unable to breathe through your nose as hazy gasps left your lips.

You heard a knock at your door as Reiner warned you that he was about to enter.

Reiner finally cracked open your dormitory door before his mouth dropped, giving you a weak glare: "You look like shit, ha."

"Thank you, Reiner." You mumbled under your breath, your voice slightly nasally as your eyes slowly looked around, "You really know the way to a girls heart."

Reiner Braun sighed, sitting against the side of your bed as he pressed the backs of his knuckles on your forehead. He gave you a defeated sigh, running his free fingertips through their short hair before retracting his hand.