infiltrated

Beads of steaming water trickled down your temples and forehead, falling off of the ends of your lashes.

You ran your fingers through the roots of your hair, massaging your scalp deeply and slowly: your eyes closed with pleasure, a pearly smile urging against your teeth at the relaxing sensation. The shampoo foamed in your hands as you cleansed your hair, already feeling refreshed for the day ahead.

You turned the shower-knob. 

Goosebumps swarmed over your skin as the cold air consumed you; the steam on the mirrors of the shower-room made droplets trickle down the glass.

The changing room seemed abnormally quiet; you were the only person in sight.

Your eyes curiously wandered around: it was an early morning on a glorious, Autumn day - shattered sunlight seeped through the windows and casted a golden mist on the steam of the shower.

Deciding not to think too much into the silence, you grabbed a towel from the rack, wrapping it tightly around our body. Trickles of cold water fell down your nape. The air was still thick from the hot shower: the humid mist fogged the area.

The silence around you was growing intoxicating, increasing your worries about the last day of your training: you carefully opened the door to be met with a shock. Just like the shower room, the hallways of the barracks were suspiciously silent.

"This is.. strange." Your lips formed a murmur, turning your head to peer down either end of the hallway, "I wonder where everyone is."

Just as the words had left your lips, a familiar voice called out your name. A silhouette appeared in the corner of your eye, a hand extending to capture your attention.

"Hey, Y/N!" Eren Yeager yelped with wide, forest-green eyes; his soft lips parted into a startled snarl, "What the hell are you still doing here?"

Your brow raised as the brunette jogged closer to you, his metallic gear clanking together with each stride. He instinctively placed his palm on your shoulder as your chest tightened at the feeling.

"What are you talking about, Eren?"

His cheeks were flushed: crimson stained his face as he struggled to catch his breath. His face was paralysed with a horrified expression; you wondered why, but was admittedly too afraid to ask.

The frightened Cadet finally broke the silence that tormented you, yet his words only brought more unease into your body: "The titans have infiltrated Trost; Wall Rose has been breached."

Your heart dropped slowly with an agonising sensation as Eren's words dawned on you. Horror spread like a cancerous disease through your system, taking over each inch of your body as you became paralysed with fear.

His lips were moving but your mind was blocking out any noise. The only thing you could hear was loud static.

"Please," Eren's angered brows twitched downwards: "Say something. Anything."

You stammered. You sputtered. But no words managed to leave your lips.

You outstretched your index finger after finally mustering up the courage to speak: "I'm sure it's a misunderstanding!" You weakly argued as offence grew on Eren's expression.

"What?"

"There must be some sort of reasonable explanation for this," You drastically pulled at straws as the blood left your face: leaving you colourless and sickly, "This is our last day of training! Shadis is probably testing us, I'm sure that-"

He stepped back with his palms separating you both, arching his thick eyebrows down: "I saw the Colossal titan with my own two eyes, it's not some sort of test. This is real, Y/N."