18

A/N: Tbh I'm really proud of this chapter, though I don't really know why. Well I worked on this over the weekend, since we just hit 10K reads!! Don't get used to me spoiling you guys though. I'm going to be super busy this week, as it's my sister birthday and I have dance team tryouts (wish me luck bc I haven't stretched in about a week) so I might only update once over the next four days. This is kinda a short chapter, I'm literally having huge writers block. Also feel free to ask question about me, I love interacting with you guys. One more thing, last night I got super close to shifting, like I could hear the train (I scripted I wake up on the train) but then I sneezed and I was still in my CR :( 

---

River walks away leaving Alayna and I alone again. Alayna lets out a small giggle.

"What?" I ask, though it's more of a rhetorical question.

"Nothing." she giggles. 

I roll my eyes and sit back down. I rummage around for my note book, which was wedged in-between the seat's cushions, and lay it down on my lap. I take my pencil in my hand but stare out the window looking for inspiration. I watch as the blur of trees pass by, looking like someone smudged many different shade of green all over the window. 

Alayna glances over at me, "I'm going to go to sleep, wake me up when we get close." She says and I nod. Alayna puts her head against the wall and closes her eyes. I gaze back out the window, which now displays a lake that shines in the mid-day sunlight. I watch a blue bird drink from the waters edge, and fly away to it's nest in the nearby trees. 

I look back at my notebook when the view is cut off by a large, gray cliff. No inspiration comes to me, so I close my book and place it back in my bag. I reach behind my head and release my hair from it's messy bun. I run my fingers threw my hair, getting rid of the tangles, and slide the hair tie on my wrist. I spin it around a bit before laying back on the compartment seat. I stare at the gross tan color ceiling and study the cracks that run threw it.

"Anything from the trolley?" I hear a voice in the distance. I sit up and open the door. "Anything from the trolley?" The old lady repeats to the kids in the other compartments. When no one responds she moves on.

She walks up to me and repeats, "Anything from the trolley?" for the third time.

"Um," I think looking at the trolley full with every type of candy. "A chocolate frog, make that two." I add remembering Alayna. "And two Pumpkin Pasties please." I reach into my sweatpants' pockets and pull out my money. 

I hand her the needed amount and she hands me the treats. I take them back into the compartment and place them on the seat, on my side, not wanting Alayna to kick them in her sleep. I open my Pumpkin Pasty and eat it. After a bit Alayna wakes up.

"We're not there yet." I say. She grumbles as a response and I can't help but smile. Her gaze moves from me to the candies sitting at the end of the bench. "You can have one." I laugh as she looks at me with puppy dog eyes. Alayna takes the chocolate frog and opens it up. 

"Lockhart." She says looking at the card. "Do you collect?" I shake my head no and and she flips the card around.

"Hermione says he's a fake." I murmured. Alayna looks up at me from behind her chocolate frog. Just then a blonde haired girl knocked on the window attached to the compartment door. I jump, startled by the sudden noise. The girl opens the door and steps inside.

"Have either of you seen a bottle of Fluxweed?" She asks, in her soft voice. I feel like I've seen her before, but I can't be sure. 

"No, sorry Luna. What happened?" Alayna asked. 

"I seemed to have misplaced it. I wanted to give some to Father for Christmas." She smiles at the two of us. "Must be the Nargles again." Luna says shaking her head and walking back out to the narrow hallway of the train.

Alayna says she's a second year, who's a bit funky in the head. Hey her words not mine! So she gets picked on by some older kids. They like to take her stuff apparently. After a short discussion Alayna says she will be right back and walk out of the compartment for the second time today. I sit back down and decide to read a book. I lean over and take Alayna's book. 

I make sure to keep her book mark in place and open to page one. I begin reading and halfway threw the second page, Alayna comes back in, alone.

"Where'd you go?" I ask but she just shakes her head and sits down across from me.

"Hey! Is that my book?" She says noticing it sitting in my lap.

"I didn't take your book mark out." I reassure.

"Fine." She sits down. Alayna looks out the window and starts humming a song. I continue reading her book while she quietly start going through her things. Forty-five minutes later we arrive at Platform 9 and 3/4. When the train lurches to a stop, Alayna and I grab our things and walk off. We stop by the porter, who hands us our trunks and Alayna takes me to go meet her parents. 

Her mother looks like a older version of Alayna and I'm guessing the man standing next to her is Alayna's stepdad. Alayna picks up her pace and runs to her mom. They share a short hug before Alayna pulls away and turns to me.

"Mum this is Peyton." She says to her mom. "Peyton this is my mum and my stepdad, Jeremy."

"Hi." I whisper. I don't know why I am suddenly nervous, but I am nether less.

"Nice to meet you." Alayna's mom says. She extends her right hand out to me. I take it. "You can call me Lindsay or Mrs. Jennings. What ever you'd like." I nod.

"And you can call me Jeremy." Alayna's stepdad says extending his hand. I shake it.

"Thanks for letting me stay with you for break." I smile.

"Oh it's no problem. We feel bad because Alayna doesn't really have anyone to hang out with that's her age." Lindsay says. Her voice is sweet and welcoming.

"Speaking of other children," Jeremy says. "Where is everyone else? I left the trio at home alone and I don't want to come back to no house at all." Alayna and I laugh.

"Um, I don't know." Alayna says turning around. "I haven't seen Douglas at all, Emmy was with Kylan and Lily-Grace was in the prefects train car so I have no idea when she's coming out." 

"Jeremy why don't you take Alayna and Peyton back to the shop, and I'll wait for everyone else." Lindsay says. Jeremy nods and picks up my trunk.

"I'll carry this for you."

"Oh, it's fine, I can get it."

"You sure?"

"Yeah." I say. He hands me my trunk back and we start to walk away from the crowd. The three of us walk through the barrier and to the parking lot.

"It's only a short walking distance, but I can send your trunks home so we don't have to deal with it for now." Jeremy says. Alayna and I put out trunks on the ground and with a flick of Jeremy's wand they disappear.