Chapter 5 - Lena & Krypto Origins Part 1

Note:

Just a quick note here. Firstly, I just want to make it clear, that this chapter begins to explore the history of Lena and Krypto, and how Lena is homeless, and what her sacrifice is. Due to that, there is some stuff that might be hard to read, but it is important. Then secondly, the first section of this chapter is written in the past tense, but after I go back to just using present tense (even though it is in the past), just because I dislike writing in the past tense for these fics, and I feel my readers much more prefer my style this way.

Also, there will be some science stuff in here, and I do not claim for it to be correct, I am not a scientist or anything. The science just serves a need for this story, and if I wanted to make it realistic, I would have to do a lot of research and be a lot more intelligent than I am! Also, I thought I should make it clear, in the present of this story Lena is 25 and Kara is 27, so in the past Lena is 22.

*****************

Just over three years ago....

At the time Lena had just graduated from MIT, having completed two doctorates in mechanical engineering and chemical & biological engineering, having achieved all this in only four years. Lena was excited to have finished her education, as she knew that she could move forward in her life, and go forth and seek to change the world by creating technologies and breakthroughs in medicines. After having graduated from university, Lena didn't need to go find a job to work her way up the career ladder like most other graduates would. Lena was in a very fortunate position to have several million dollars at her disposal, due to the inheritance her father left her, in her trust fund. Lena's original plan therefore was to create her own company, and be her own boss, where she could personally make the things she wanted, without there being someone to tell her no, or to get in her way. However a few hours after Lena graduated from university, she received a call from her brother, Lex.

"Hello, Lex?" Lena answered, with a smile.

At the time Lena and Lex were close siblings, and Lena considered Lex to be a great brother. Throughout Lena's years living with the Luthors, Lex had always been the one that made her feel the most comfortable and loved. At times when Lillian was abusive to her, while Lex wouldn't get in the middle of it and stop it, he would go find Lena afterwards and lovingly reassure her, making Lena believe that she wasn't alone in the world. In fact, Lex really did claim to want to come to Lena's graduation to support her, but he informed her that to do so he would have to cancel several meetings, but he claimed he was more than happy to do it. Lena for her part told Lex that he shouldn't cancel his meetings for her, as it was only a graduation, and the only purpose of him coming would be to physically be there to support her. Lena just told Lex that she knew that he supported her anyway, so she didn't need him there, and definitely didn't want him to cancel some of his work because of her. Lex did put up a bit of a fight about it, but he ultimately gave in to Lena's request. It wasn't until later, after everything happened, that Lena realised that Lex had purposely manipulated her, to get her to tell him not to come to her graduation, and make it seem like he actually wanted to, even though he didn't.

"Lena, how was your graduation?" Lex replied.

"Good Lex. There are a lot of pictures, so I am sure that you can look at them, as you couldn't be here." Lena replied.

"Yes, I'll look forward to giving them a look." Lex said, "So do you have any plans for tonight? Are you going to a party or something to celebrate?"

"Yeah.... Jack and I are going out for a nice dinner, and then we are going to go to a party for the graduate students." Lena replied.

"Ah, yes. I still don't understand what you see in him, you deserve someone so much better than Jack Spheer." Lex said.

Lena chuckled, knowing Lex was only being protective.