Chapter 12

He repeated those two words 3 times. And just like that, the nikah was sealed. We were now bound to each other.

The imam made a quick dua and it was done. Our nikah was complete.

Ismail stood up and walked over to me, as we were sat across from each other. He lifted the veil covering my face and placed it on my head. Whilst giving me a genuine smile, he got a hold of my shoulders and helped me stand up. He then did something unexpected. He lowered his head and placed a kiss on my forehead, and whispered "Nikah Mubarak, begum." Whilst this happened, his friends started shouting Mubarak to everyone and cheering like hooligans. They were then told to shut their traps by the imam who thought it would be a good idea to leave us alone. So everyone made their way out of the mosque.

Ismail looked at me and then followed to search all his pockets of his shalwar kameez in search of something. When he found it his face lit up. He took out a small velvet box and captured my left hand in both of his. He opened the box to reveal a beautiful diamond ring. Elegant and classy. An exact compliment of the necklace my mum gave to me...

Oh! How I wish she could have been to see this moment.

In that time, Ismail had taken my hand and put on the ring. It was a reminder that I was bound to him. I was his and he was mine. I wonder if the road of marriage would be smooth.

But you see that no road on life is ever smooth, there will always be bumps, sharp turns and unexpected avenues to go down. And you have to overcome all these obstacles will make you stronger. But you've got to have patience, sabr and faith in Allah. 

We got up and started making our way out of the mosque. As we were walking side by side, he grasped by wrist and enveloped my hand in his. Shocked at first, I realised I should get used to such acts as I was now his wife. I looked and saw him smiling, a genuine one, one that said he was so proud to be married to me and he would never have any regrets, ever. We walked out of the mosque and down the stairs and we were scattered with rose petals and pink confetti. Everyone wearing a joyous smile on their face. Congratulating us. Wishing us a joyous and blessed married life. Giving out sweets and money. I smiled with them all, maybe this is what I needed, a saathi, a humsafar, a husband. A hand goes round my waist and I'm subtly pulled towards his chest as he whispers "I guess, I won the challenge then."

I give him a bored look and with a roll of my eyes I reply, "Maybe you did."

The cheering quietens down and an older man emerges from behind the crowd. He places a hand on my head and smiles at me. "You are my son's choice but I know you will bring lots of happiness into both mine and his life. Thank you for accepting this khota and In sha Allah the two of you live a long and prosperous married life." A chorus of Ameens were heard. 

Ismail then hands me a dark pink rose much like the colour of my dupatta (also like the one on the cover) and says to me "the way that this rose symbolises gratitude, grace, admiration, and joy. I promise to give you all these things and many more during our married life." He handed me the rose with a genuine smile. As I went to hold the rose, I pricked my finger on a thorn and instantly blood started to draw from the wound. I should have taken that as sign...

Ismail's father retreated back into the crowd but not before giving my brother a slight nod, to which Usmaan smirked and returned. Now I knew for sure that something was definitely wrong. 

And that was the day I became Mrs Ayla Hussain, with a doubt that my future wasn't going to be as smooth or bright as I thought it would.

******

Do you think Ismail's present was cute?

Is Ayla's doubt going to be proved right?