Chapter 6

I picked up the phone and dialled a number I didn't want to, but had to. "Hello" his gruff voice stated.

"Salaam Father."

"Was salaam what do you want now?"

I clenched my jaw, had he been in front of me god only knows what I would have done to him.

"I don't want anything. I just have to inform you of something."

"Go on then."

"The woman who was holding a relation between me and you has passed. So-"

"What do you mean. Who? Your mother?" His voice rises with every word.

I kept silent. "Answer me girl!" He screamed down the line.

I scoffed "why do you care? Your the one who caused her pain. You're the reason she wanted to end her life. You're the reason why she was unhappy. You're the reason why she struggled to find happiness. Because of you she stopped smiling, laughing all signs of happiness were wiped off her face.ALL because of you she's now gone." He stayed silent while I broke in tears.

"So now I don't want to know you. I want to forget that you exist or ever existed for me. I'll leave the house today and you forget that I ever existed for you too."

"Ayla, don't silly beta. You don't have to leave that house. It's yours you have got a right on it as well. Anyway where else will you go?"

" You don't have to worry about that. I'm dead for you and you're dead for me. Got it?" And with that I cut the phone.

I didn't want to do that. But he was never there when I needed help, when mom needed help or just a little bit of support. Someone to lean on. I guess some people aren't built for the role of husband or father.

I then dialled another number. This one I was dreading I'll be able to hear the arrogance and victory through his voice when I tell him. But it's the only way. Anyway mom wanted it as well, so why not? I can fulfill the dying wish of my mother can't I?

I took a deep breath and put the phone near my ear. "Sadqay! I thought I'll never see the day that you'll call me but I have. Tell me jaanu what can I do for you?" His cheerful voice erupted in my depressed ears. I cleared my throat. "Congratulations. You've won. I agree to the nikah."

He laughed wholeheartedly. "Don't get my hopes up. I know you're playing with me. You like paying with my feelings-"

"Oh so you've changed your mind now?" I mocked " I should have known a playboy like you could never commit to something as serious as a Nikah."

"Wait are you serious?" He questioned.

"Yes. I want to to get our Nikah done today. If that's ok with you?" I replied.

"What do you mean ok? That's the best thing you've thought of with your little brain since I've met you." He starts laughing and hooting like a lunatic. "She's agreed! She's finally agreed!" and there come a lot more cheering and hooting. "You are serious, right? I don't believe you I'm coming to hear it straight from your mouth." And with that he cut off the phone. I put the phone down and headed back to the classroom. I collected my stuff and was going to walk out when I was stopped. "Ayla where are you going?" I put on a straight face and looked straight into her eyes and said " To the hospital. My mom died." Her face morphed into sympathy for me but I didn't want it. I turned on my heel and walked to the toilets first. I had to let out my tears now, if I wanted to not let my mum down by crying at her funeral. I ran into the cubicles and cried and let all my tears out.

The ones I had been holding in for months and those that I had been holding in for a few minutes.

When I couldn't cry anymore, I sat there looking into space. I was pulled out of my trance by my phone. It was pinging, an alarm I had on to remind myself to call my mum and remind her to take her medication.

Again the tears had started to fall but they stopped shortly after. I had to get up now. I couldn't mourn the rest of my life away, I had to sort out the funeral and everything.

I left the cubicle and stood in front of the mirror. My eyes bloodshot, my hijab crumpled with some hairs hanging out my hands shaking. I washed my hands and face to make myself look a bit more representable and redid my hijab. I grabbed my bag and walked out of college towards the car park.

I quickly scanned the car park for the "iconic" Rang Rover. Luckily it was nowhere to be seen. I walked briskly to my car which I had stupidly parked at the far end of the car park.

And as expected I was stopped by the car I was hoping to avoid.

He jumped out of his car and grabbed my hands, I flinched and pulled them out of his grip. He let go but started talking. "I'm so happy you finally agreed. I promise I'll make you the happiest girl in this world. I'll never give you a chance to complain, I'll be the best husband I possibly can be..." he trailed off finally noticing my silence.

"What's wrong, Ayla? Aren't you happy? I can wait you know, don't force yourself. I'll wait my whole life for you. Just don't force this relationship." I started to walk to my car still looking at the ground, not speaking a word. I was about to get in when he caught my arm and turned me to gave him. With his other hand he lifted my chin so I could look into his eyes. As soon as he saw my bloodshot eyes, his smile dropped. "What wrong? Who hurt you? Tell me!"

He started again "tell me what's wrong Ayla" this time sternly.

"She died. Ismail, she died!" I shrieked. I slumped onto the floor and held my head in my hands.

"She's gone and she's never coming back. I don't know what to do with myself." I said sobbing in my hands. He gently took my hands away from my face and lifted me up so that I was standing.

"Who died? Tell me clearly." "My...mum." His face turned pale. "When? Why didn't you tell me earlier?" He pulled me into a much needed hug and was whispering sweet nothings in my ear. It was helping, he was helping. Helping me. Maybe he was the one.

******

Is Ayla right is he the 'one'?

Do you think Ayla's reaction was good, as in did she react in the way you expected?