Chapter 8

That person being my brother.

Usmaan.

He was there, eyes bloodshot like mine. He held out his arms for me to hug. But I wasn't going to hug him, why should I? He didn't check up on mum for the last 6 months despite me telling him about her deteriorating health. He never batted an eye so why was he here now? I voiced my thoughts. He looked at me surprised and shocked "When have you turned so bitter my guriya? She was my mother as well."

"First of all don't call me that name," it was a nickname that dad and him had kept for me, but I despised the name now "and didn't you say that she was going to die one day when she attempted to commit suicide, so why are showing the world your crocodile tears now? WHY?" I screamed. I'd had enough no one looked out for her when she was alive and now he was here along with my other 2 sisters and aunt who all abandoned my mum in her time of need, despite my pleas. Why were they here then?

I guess what they say is true, regret is stronger than gratitude.

"Ayla, Ayla... look at me." Came a comforting voice. I looked up to see Ismail looking down at me, expressionless. "What are they all doing here, Ismail?" Hoping he would have some sort of answer.

"I told them to come, you need support Ayla and I can't give you that cause I'm not your mehram yet-"

"What do you mean yet?" Usmaan questioned anger and slight fear etched on his face.

"We intend to do our Nikah, possibly today." Ismail informed him.

"WHAT? Our mother has died and your getting married?" Shrieked my older sister at me whilst stalking towards me.

"Keep your voice. You're talking to my future wife." Ismail stepped in between me and her in case she tried anything funny. "And besides it was your mum's dying wish, right Ayla?" I nodded in confirmation, I don't know what else to do.

"I called them cause of you've broken ties with dad. Your brother can still step in as your Wali." I relaxed realising what he was saying was right and for once in his life he had used his brain.

Usmaan finally spoke " I will do so, but I need to have a word with Ismail first." They both left leaving all us women alone. I started to walk towards my car but was stopped by my aunt. "Why did you never tell us what you and your mother who is also MY sister were going through? We would have helped you." She said helplessly.

I scoffed. "Really what about when I did ask you for help when I asked you to send those two back to help me. Did you? Did you then? You straight out refused so I never bothered with you again, I prayed to Allah and he helped me, he was the only one who stood by our sides and now she's gone. My reason for living, my everything, my mum." I broke into tears again.

I didn't know what to do. I felt a strong hand on my shoulder and looked up to see my brother smiling at me. He took a hold of my arms and brought me up to my feet. "I know she's gone but you need to move forward. Start a new chapter. I know that I've hardly been there for you but I know Ismail will keep you happy. He's perfect for you." He concluded. He pulled me into a strong hug and I let out a fresh set of tears. These ones were full of gratitude. I was going to start my life with someone who was by me and helped. Hopefully he stays by my side during my whole life.

I gave Usmaan my keys to my car, as he needed to drop the others home and start preparations for the funeral. He said Ismail will drop me off at the house as he needs to speak with me.

I sat on the front passenger seat of the iconic Range Rover, waiting for Ismail to finish talking to my brother. When he was finally done, he jumped into the car and started driving. Not even bothering to bat an eye towards me. "Ahem" I cleared my throat hoping to catch his attention.

"Yes, yes I know you're there." He said nonchalantly.

"I was just making sure." I said in a bored tone.

"Ok, ok."

We spent the next 5 minutes in silence with me and him stealing glances at each other. He finally stopped his car. "I want to ask you something"

"Go ahead." I replied.

"Are you definitely ready for the nikah."

"Yes" I said "definitely" echoing his words.

"I just thought that you know everyone is back now, so you might not want to carry this on."

"No. I want to be with you, in your nikah. They are just here to fake it to everyone. I know you are genuine and I want to stay with you. I know you won't wrong me."

******

Is Ayla going to be happy with this Nikah?

Are they going to end up as a happy couple despite the circumstances of the Nikah?