~4~

It was the first game, Sophia was hell of nervous. She couldn't wear a jersey like she used to for the Ducks. Coach gave her a warm up jacket so everyone knows she's the team manager and not a player. They walked out onto the ice, Sophia and Coach behind them. She saw Adam in the crowd with the varsity. He sent her a smile and she sent one back then her eyes landed on Linda. She was sitting in the crowd watching Charlie. She sighed and Adam noticed and looked at the girl.

"Gather around. Let's go. Hustle up. Come on." Coach yelled. Everyone skated in, "All right, think defense. All right, hands in. Here we go."

They put their hands in and started quacking, "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! What the hell's that? Knock that off." Sophia was sad when he told them to say "Go team." They skated away and Sophia started taking notes, like she always did when they were the ducks. Charlie noticed Linda waving. He smiled and waved back. Sophia sighed and saw Charlie's mom cheering. She smiled at her and gave her a thumbs up. Then the game started, Charlie passed it to Fulton. He took it down then passed it back to Charlie then he shot it into the goal. The siren blared. Everyone cheered. Coach looked mad about scoring. Sophia wrote down on who scored and how many points they were getting. The boys were still cheering, "All right, knock off the celebration! Act like you've scored before, huh?"

Sophia noticed that Julie looked really bored in the goal. She felt her pain. They kept scoring goals. Russ did his knuckle-puck and scored again. Adam was clapping for them but had to stop because of varsity. Sophia wished he was still playing with them. It was now three to zero.

Goldberg decided to talk to the ref, "Hey, ref. You know you can call this thing now, and we can all get home in time to see Melrose."

The ref gave him a weird look and skated away. Sophia gave Goldberg a look and he just sat down. Luis got the puck and started skating towards the goal, "He can't stop! He's got no brakes!" He shot it and it went in. He flew above the goal and slapped into the wall hard. Dwayne got the puck and started showing off his skills. Sophia saw Adam smiling at his team. Dwayne scored and everyone cheered. Fulton shot it into the goal and they were winning. Sophia was sitting on the bench with Russ and Kenny.

"Yo, Russ, you gotta teach me how to talk some trash."

"It can't be taught, Kenny, man. I mean, it's got to be the first thing that comes to your mind. You just got to go for it. Try it."

Kenny looked at the ref, "Okay. Hey, ref, you--"

Sophia and Russ put their hands over his mouth, "Uh-uh, shh. Pick another target."

Kenny looked at the other team, "Hey, number 44, you, you, you, you play, you play--You don't play real good."

Sophia sighed, putting her hands to her face. "Shorter, man. Get to the point."

He got up, "Hey, number nine, bite me!" number nine came over and pushed Kenny down.

Russ and Sophia laughed, "Now we're getting somewhere." He high-fived Sophia.

Fulton scored and everyone cheered again. At the end of the period, Charlie scored. Sophia saw Linda standing up, smiling and cheering. Sophia rolled her eyes and tried to focus on the game. It was the start of a new and last period, the score was nine to zero. This time the bears got the puck and skated down to Julie. They shot it and the bears scored. Sophia sighed and put her face back into her hands. The bears scored again. It wasn't looking good for them.

"Moreau, Conway, change it. All right, let's do it, guys." Coach said.

It got worse; they weren't clearing the net and the bears scored again. Coach started getting angry a little, "Germaine, Fulton, change it!"