~5~

Sophia was sitting in the locker room, reading her book. Charlie was next to her getting ready. He looked over her shoulder and looked at the book, "Whatcha reading?"

She put her book down, "To Kill A Mockingbird."

"Isn't that a high school reading level?"

"I'm homeschooled, Char. I don't have a reading level. Hans gives me a book and I read it. Then I get graded on it."

"Lucky. You don't have to wake up for school in the early morning."

"I do have to help work the store so it really isn't lucky."

He chuckled, "Yeah, you win. When did you start calling me Char?"

"I don't know, it's a good nickname."

"Okay then, what nickname should I use for you? Soph, Sophie?"

"Fifi. My mother used to call me that."

"Okay then Fifi. That's a really pretty name."

They both laughed and Bombay walked in. Peter and Jesse weren't dressed and he looked at them, "Hey, why aren't you guys in uniform? We got warm-ups in half an hour."

They both looked at each other. Bombay moved on and looked at the team, "All right, everyone, listen up. I got some good news. We're getting a new player, Adam Banks."

Charlie looked at him, "What?"

Everyone started chattering. Sophia guessed that they didn't like him because he was a Hawk. Karp gave Coach a look, "He's a Hawk."

"He's a good player."

"Yuck."

"Everybody hates him." Jesse told him.

"We don't need him." Connie said.

"I'm the coach. I say we do need him. If we make it to the play-offs, he could be a big help."

Sophia looked at him. Last night he was sure they were going to make it. Now he thinks they wouldn't.

"If"? All of a sudden, you don't think we're good enough?" Karp asked.

"No, he thinks we're losers. That's what he told Reilly." Peter said.

Everyone looked at him. Coach gave him a confused look, "What?"

"We heard what you said. You said we were losers, we didn't deserve to live."

"That's not what I meant."

"I saw that picture of you missing that goal. You were a Hawk, weren't you? Guess you guys stick together to the end. You know what? I don't need your stinkin' equipment." he said, throwing his jersey to the ground and walking out of the room, "See you around."

"Peter, come back here. I'm talkin' to you, son!"

"Forget it, cake-eater. If you wanna play, play with yourself. Come on, Terry." Jesse said, leaving.

Sophia didn't know what was going on but it wasn't going too well. Bombay looked at Jesse and Terry, "Where do you guys think you're goin'?"

Everyone put their heads down. "I don't believe this." Bombay sighed, "All right, I'm goin' up to the bench because that's where I'm supposed to be. Anyone who wants to join me can join me. Anyone who doesn't...Well...Fifi come on." he said then left.

Sophia sadly got up and went with her dad. She sat down on the bench and started reading, waiting on who was going to come. The other team was warming up while no one from the Ducks were on the ice. The ref came over, "Ten minutes to game time, coach."

"Yeah, yeah, they'll be out in a minute. They're...you know working themselves into a frenzy."

The door slams. Charlie and Fulton made their way out onto the ice. Sophia stood up and watched. She looked at her dad. They threw their helmets onto the ice and started skating around.

"Not much of a frenzy."

Bombay looked at the boys then to Sophia then back to the ref, "We forfeit."

Sophia was not that shocked by how her dad said it. No one wanted to play with him because he was a Hawk and said they were losers. Sophia and Bombay got into the car to go home. Sophia felt the sadness from her dad.

"What are you going to do?" she asked.

He looked at her, "I'm thinking of leaving and Jesse and Terry's dad can coach. They don't want me to be their coach anymore."

Sophia nodded, "Are you going to tell Charlie?"

"I'll go over to his mom's diner and talk to him."

Sophia nodded and returned to her book. When she got home, she went straight to her room. She didn't want to talk to anyone right now. Hans walked in her room and set down some hot chocolate he made for her. He then sat down on her bed.

"Are you okay?"

"No. Dad isn't coaching anymore and I will probably never see the team ever again." she mumbled into her pillow.

"Hey, it's okay. Your dad will come around and you'll be back with the Ducks in no time."

She sat up and faced him, "You really think that?"

"I'm 100% sure."

She hugged him, "Thanks Hans."

He hugged her back then pulled away, "Now, you better get reading and try to finish that book. I brought you some hot chocolate so you can have some energy."

She smiled, "Thanks." He got up and walked out of the room, "Hans, I love you."

He stood in the door frame, "I love you too, Fifi. Now get reading."

She chuckled and picked up her book. She stayed up all night to finish reading and love it. She loved the ending and passed out onto her bed when she put her book down. She started dreaming about the Ducks and her friends.