Chapter 20- Kylie's Point of View

Kylie's POV

This is bad. I have no idea of what is going on, and Lucy won't answer me. I don't even think that I can get through to her. I tried to reach telepathically but I can't. I can't even tell where she is. Normally I can sense where her mind is. I always feel an extra presence. I can't exactly track her with my mind, but I know if she is sleeping, or distressed or something.

It's like she's gone. Like she vanished off the face of the planet. I shivered at that idea. I love my sister so much, and I pushed her off the edge. She has been nothing but good to me and I treat her like trash. Some sister I am.

I decided to stop sulking and go do something. Something to get my mind off things. Sulking is doing nothing but ruining my mood even more.

Sigh.

I decided to go to the park. I go there a lot to think. It has become my favourite place since my parents have died. They died in a car accident. We lived with Grandma for a bit. It was hard for Grandma. Her child died and she had to look at her grandchildren every day, a spitting image  of her lost child.

I shook my head. I don't have kids, but that pain seems unbearable. I lost my parents, but that's different. It would be like your reason for living is gone. Your pride and joy, also gone.

I shook my head, clearing my head from those thoughts. I went to the store to pick up bread crumbs. The store is right across the park. I paid for the bread crumbs and left. I ran across the street to the park.

Everyone in the park seems happy today. Even the park. I know that sounds weird but that's the only way to describe it. The tree leafs and the grass is bright green today. The squirrels are running around, and collecting nuts. The birds are singing their songs. The kids in the park are running around, playing. Parents trying to keep up with the children. It's such a sight to see.

And then there's Kyle, Lucy's best friend, sitting and staring at the ground. They knew each other since kindergarten. I guess she abandoned him too. I went to sit beside him.

"Hey," I said.

"Hi," he said. He didn't look up. He continued to stare at the ground

"Common, lighten up. You're bringing me down," I said softly.

"She's dead, Kylie. She's..." he couldn't finish. He put his hands on his face.

Who's dead? Who died that I didn't know about? I can't imagine this turning out well.

"Who?" I asked confused.

"Lucy..." he looked up at me with watery eyes.

Wait... What? She isn't dead. She couldn't be!

"She's not dead. Who told you that?" I asked him.

I certainly hope she's not dead.

"Does it matter? It must be even worse for you. You seem to be in denial. It's all around the school," he said softly.

What the hay does the school know about anything?

"What is the school saying about my sister?" I demanded angrily.

"They said she did suicide right after the side of the school collapsed," he told me.

I don't know if what I'm about to tell him is going to be better or worse.

"She's not dead, but she might as well be." I told him, avoiding his glance.

"What do you mean? How could you wish your only sister dead!" he demanded.

"She survived it, but then she disappeared. She's turned to the darker side. She literally went over the edge," I told him as I opened the bread crumb bag and started throwing bread crumbs at the birds. I offered him some and he threw some at the birds that were collecting.

"If only I was there for her," he sighed.

I put my arm on his shoulder to comfort him.

"You couldn't have done anything for her if you saw it coming," I told him.

Sure, take my best friend from me. You can't just stop at my boyfriend, oh no. You take him too. You're dead to me. I was thinking of coming back, but not now. Said a cold dark voice in my head.

Hey! Come back! I sent back. She's gone. That was Lucy, I know it. No one else has a key to my head.

Key....

Just like Grandma said.

"The key is behind the wall," or something like that. Lucy told me that Grandma had said that one day. The wall must be a mental wall. I don't know what the "key" is. At the time I though both Lucy and Grandma had gone nuts because of my parent's death.

Now that I think of it, it was before their death. What key is it? I'm thinking that it's the key to solve something, but what?

"HEY!" exclaimed Kyle.

"What!" I yelled back.

"What key? Who went away? Have you gone mad?" he asked.

"No, but I have to go," I said as I hurried off.

I have to go talk to Grandma. I don't think she will tell me much. She never has. She always tells me that when it's my turn to know, I will figure it out. She's a weird lady.

I was in a hurry to get home. I have to find out what this key is.

I ran home. The door was locked. I got out my key and unlocked the door.

"Grandma!" I yelled.

I'm pretty sure she's home today. I don't know why the door would be locked though.

"Grandma!" I yelled again.

Where could that lady be?

"Oh My God! Grandma!" I yelled.