TWENTY-FOUR

"Spencer!" You shout frantically, shooting up from the bed and sprinting into the living room, seeing no trace of Spencer. You run into a kitchen, then the bathroom before making your way into the spare bedroom, seeing it in the same state as it was before, Spencer's shirt still discarded in the corner from your activities.

You run back into the bedroom and make a quick grab for your burner phone, pressing number one, which is speed dial for Spencer. "Come on, come on, please pick up," you cry softly, pacing back and forth in the bedroom.

You pause when you hear a faint ringing sound in the bedroom, pulling the phone away from your ear and listening intently, walking to the other end of the room and following the sound of the ringing. You pull open the dresser drawer, the phone inside ringing much louder now, echoing off the empty bedroom walls.

 You pull the phone from the dresser and see your name flash across the small screen with a heart beside it, prompting your lip to quiver as the phone is sent to voicemail. Also inside the drawer is a few of Spencer's belongings, the two main ones you see are a small gold chain and a ring, both of them resting at the bottom of the drawer in a small box.

Sliding Spencer's phone in your back pocket, you grab the two jewelry items, clasping the necklace around your neck, layering it with the one you already have and slide the ring onto your middle finger while you dial Hotch on your phone and wait for him to pick up.

Your breath hitches when Hotch's voice comes through on the other line, and you're struggling to keep yourself composed long enough to inform him of the situation. "Hotch, Spencer," you say, voice cracking slightly. "He's gone. He left."

"What do you mean he's gone?"

"Exactly what I just said. He left in the middle of the night and left a note, all his things, and his phone," you answer. Hotch's sigh comes on the other end, and before he can say anything, you're already going around the house and throwing everything into bags. "I'm coming back now, Hotch. I'm working on this case whether you like it or not. And let's be real, if you say no, I'm going to do it anyway."

"Fine, but don't go anywhere. I'm coming to pick you up," he replies. "Lock the doors and don't answer until I call you."

"Will do," you answer, muttering a quick goodbye before hanging up the phone and tossing it on the bed.

You run into the living room and grab a few of Spencer's books that he's left, putting them in his suitcase along with his toiletries and any discarded clothes, lazily throwing everything in the bag in a way you're sure he would hate. You pack your own bag, pocketing the note Spencer left before moving into the spare bedroom, folding up everything you've found on the case so far and shoving it into a case file, placing everything down on the kitchen table.

When your phone rings again in your pocket, you quickly pick it up when you see Hotch's name flash across the screen. You look out the window to see Hotch, dressed more casually than usual hopping out of his car and approaching the door. You unlock the door, pulling it open which makes him shake his head.

"You're not supposed to open the door," he mutters. You simply shrug your shoulders, "I saw you coming from the window."

You go to make a grab for your bags but he waves you off, "I got these. Go wait in the car," he instructs, picking up both luggage with ease whereas you grab the case file, swiping it off the counter and walking to the car, hopping in the passenger's side. Hotch puts the keys in the ignition, but not without sparing a glance at the obvious case file in your hands.

"Is that what I think it is?"

"No?" You answer back, sounding completely unsure of yourself. With a ghost of a smile on his lips, he slowly shakes his head. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're starting to miss the investigative work of being an Agent."