Chapter 21: Can't reach to your heart

A cool breeze ran across my face. I could feel the heavy weight of Clay's arm, resting on my body. The birds were chirping and George and Sapnap were whispering? Wait what? They were whispering, but they were close enough that I could hear them. I started to push Clay's arm off to get up when he grabbed me back.

"Just stay for a few more minutes Y/N."

"I thought you didn't get cold."

"Come on please?" I blushed.

"Maybe some other time Clay, I think that Sap and George are trying to start a fire, and we both know that will turn to shit quickly. You sleep more though. Okay?"

"Okay. Goood luck." He mumbled, rolling back into his sleeping bag.

I sat up and slowly unzipped the tent flap and came out.

"Well George I don't care what she told you, they were 100% cuddling. No George you can't light that"

"What the hell Sapnap I was about to light it? Plus we should just respect them."

"Good morning nimrods," I said sitting down on a chair they had already set out. "Talking about me I see."

"Whaaaattt noooo." Sapnap said.

"Pffft we would never," George said, slapping Sapnap's hand as he tried to grab something from their weak-looking Wood pyramid.

"It's fine you guys, I really don't care. I just think it's funny how much you guys are looking into this. I mean we were just keeping warm it was fucking freezing last night."

"Was it just for warmth?"

"I mean yeah why wouldn't it be, you two took the big blanket, so we couldn't share."

"Y/N" George gave me a look.

"What?" I was confused.

"SAPNAP WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THE LIGHTER!!!" Clay said, emerging from the tent.

I looked away from George who appeared to be trying to have a whole conversation with me through one glance one look, and I couldn't quite read it. Sapnap was messing with the lighter, holding his hands above it, while Clay stomped out what looked like a burst of flame on one of the blankets.

"What can I say I was born in the fire."

"Oh my god, Sapnap."

"I could hear my own eye roll."

"Were you seriously not taught any fire safety?" I asked. I started to really inspect their fire. The whole thing was wet. "You guys are such idiots, this isn't gonna work, it's all wet, you can't start a fire like this. We saved some wood for you guys, it's in the car."

"We know that, and we tried to get the keys, but you guys were cuddling," Sapnpap said.

"You could have woken us up, you know that right? How did you guys even get the lighter?" Clay said.

"Oh, I kept it after last night."

"SAPNAP!" I exclaimed. "But seriously, Clay's right, you guys could have just woken us up."

"We tried," George said, "but you guys were all lovey-dovey and cuddling, so you didn't wake up."

"We were not cuddling." "What?!" Clay and I said at the same time.

"I told you guys this already, it was for warmth," I said. "How many times do I have to explain this to you guys."

"Guys maybe we should just pack up and go, it's already eleven, we can just grab McDonald's or something on the way back."