Part 30 - [EDITED]

TW: Violence, Gore, Murder

Mia jolted awake. There were tears in her eyes and her back was drenched in sweat. Paul startled beside her. "Was it the nightmares again?"

She sucked in a deep breath. "Yeah," she replied, her voice barely a whisper. 

"Which one?"

She turned on the bed to face him. "She was yelling at me. She was saying I failed and I couldn't protect her. That she was dead because of me,"

Paul lifted his hand and wiped away her tears. "I'm sorry," he sighed, "But it wasn't your fault. If she knew the truth about everything, she'd know you did everything you could,"

Mia chewed on her bottom lip. "Except she didn't," she replied. "And I'll never get to say sorry, I'll never get to..." 

A sob escaped her throat. Paul pulled her to his chest.

As horrible as nightmares were there was a little part inside of Mia that liked to have them. At least in some of them, she got to see Cait again, hear her voice again. As terrible as it sounded, it was just nice to see Cait alive even when she was accusing Mia of it.

She snuggled against him and focused on her breaths. 

Only a day was left until the Volturi arrived. Only a day was left until this was finished. Only a day was left until Cait would be done justice.

She tried to fall asleep back again with Paul's lips on her forehead, his warmth colliding with hers. It would soon be over one way or another.

After waking up at a more reasonable hour and eating they headed for Emily's. Sam wanted to talk to them all today. It was probably because of what would happen tomorrow.

The three musketeers were there when the two of them reached the house. "Evans," they all said at the same time. 

Before she could respond they all jumped on her and practically crushed her between them. "What are you doing?"

"Hugging you of course!" Quil replied. 

"By crushing me?" she replied.

Jake patted her shoulder, how Mia didn't know. "You can take it,"

"We missed you, Evans, shut up and accept it," Embry muttered playfully. 

"Fine, fine," she said along with a low chuckle and reeled into it.

By the time the guys let go Jared had shown up. He was talking to Paul. 

"Can I talk to you for a sec?" Jake asked. 

Mia nodded and Quil and Embry walked away. She peered up at him. "How you doing?" he asked. 

She chuckled. "Did you set me aside to ask me how I am?"

He rolled his eyes. "Yes, can't I?" he scoffed. "But I wanted to know how you were doing about... Bella," Mia cocked an eyebrow. "She tried her best to talk to you,"

"Are you on her side now?" Mia said in a harsh tone. 

"No!" Jake was quick to reply, "I'm just saying, you've been through some shit recently. How you holding up about it?"

Mia sighed. "We always knew it was going to happen right?" she looked down, "And, after what happened to Cait, I, uhm, I just... Would it make me cruel if I said I don't care about her anymore?"

Jake's eyes widened. "It would make you a liar," he said. "You're angry at her but I know you still love her. You two are sisters,"

She didn't reply as she spotted Leah, Seth, and Olivia walking up toward the house. Olivia had spent the night at the Clearwater house. She saw Quil and Embry greeting them, even hugging Olivia.