10| Reflection

"Sadness flies away on the wings of time" - Jean de La Fontaine

Melody🤍

Melody looked at her reflection in the bathroom mirror that was actually pretty nice for a high school. As nice as the bathroom was, the school day itself couldn't say the same, her first period was boring and there was a girl mean mugging her for half of the class. Melody splashed some water on her face as someone walked in.

That's the girl from first period, she thought.

She had brown hair and slightly lighter skin. She looked white but seemed mixed with something else. She was wearing a white long-sleeve crop top and a denim skirt.

"Hey, are you the new girl uh... Mercury?" she asked walking up to Melody.

Mercury- what?

"Yea, Melody actually. Are you new too?" the brown-skinned girl asked since she hadn't seen her before.

"No, I'm Valerie, I was on vacation for the last couple weeks."

"Oh, that's co-" Melody started before getting cut off

"Yea anyways, I don't want to be y'know that girl, but I would appreciate it if you stayed away from Luca."

"Who?" Melody questioned hoping that they weren't talking about the same person

"Luca Romano, I know you know him," she retorted getting annoyed.

"Um... are you guys dating?" Melody asked unsure of what to say. It's not every day a stranger comes up to you asking you to stay away from someone.

"Not yet."

"So-"

"Ugh, look I don't have time for this. Just back off okay," she demanded walking out of the bathroom

What the heck was that, Melody thought

- - -

A few classes passed and Melody and Luca still hadn't talked. She and Hazel went to the library instead of the cafeteria to read.

I finally have time to think about the other thing that happened earlier, Melody thought.

That didn't last long until she heard someone calling her name.

"Mel!" Hazel called out.

"Huh?" Melody answered snapping out of her thoughts.

"Your book is upside down, what are you doing?" Hazel laughed.

She looked down and sure enough, her book upside down.

"It's just that this morning..." she started and proceeded to watch roller coasters of emotions travel throughout Hazel's face.

"Hmmm" she responded in her usual cool tone

"I know" Melody dragged on sighing into her hands

"Did you guys kiss?" Hazel asked, leaning back slightly and raising a brow

"What the hell? No, the bell rung," Melody deadpanned

"So, if the bell didn't ring..." Hazel insinuated smirking.

"Then he probably would have expressed him being weirded out by me touching his face," Mel finished.

"Did you tell me this story correctly, because what I'm hearing is that you both were going to confess your love to each other," the paler girl raised an eyebrow.

"I did tell you correctly and that is a terrible conclusion to come to," Melody exclaimed, lightly slamming her book on the table.

"Come on," Hazel replied standing up.

"Where are we going?"

"To find him duh."

"I... fine." Melody sighed in defeat. They made it to the cafeteria where Luca was sitting with Carter.

"Haze, he's here should I go talk to him now?" Mel asked partially hiding behind her. They were a good length apart so it worked pretty well.

"Duh, when else would you do it?" she asked grabbing Melody's hand, walking towards them.

"You come here," Hazel asserted motioning her hands toward.

"Don't mind if I do," Carter smirked getting up. Hazel grabbed Carter by the wrist, leading him away from the table.

She sat down beside him facing forward.

"Hey."

"Hey," he replied

"Sorry."

"For what?" By his tone, she could tell he was smirking.

"What happened this morning, and if I made you feel uncomfortable," She confessed

"That's an overstatement, and I'm the one that's supposed to make you uncomfortable," he smirked harder, Melody would never admit it, but she liked his smirk.

"Whatever," she responded trying to sound nonchalant.

"By the way your hands are really warm." he grabbed her hand grinning, again. Melody's face was heating up but she knew he couldn't see it thanks to melanin.

"Uhh, I think I hear Hazel calling me," she lied removing Luca's hand from hers. As Melody walked away, she could hear Luca's laughter

"Mmmm," Hazel commented as Melody walk over to her.

"Shut up," Melody rolled her eyes sitting down, making her laugh. The momentary silence made Melody remember how she wanted to tell Hazel about the strange encounter with Valerie.

"Oh, yea I forgot to tell you-" Melody started before getting cut off.

"Hey, you guys going to the Halloween party?" Jack asked sitting down.

Jack was this girl in Melody's year. She has long wavy red hair with prominent blond streaks and pale-ish skin. She was around Hazel's height and had a nose ring that Melody thought was really cool. They met in art and had another class together.

"What Halloween party?" Melody asked taking up the subject.

"Every year there's one at some Senior's house," Hazel responded.

"So, are you guys going?" Jack asked again.

"No." Hazel and Mel said at the same time.

"Actually..." Hazel dragged out smirking at Jack and she smirked back. They both looked at Mel.

"Woah, woah, woah definitely not."

A/N: New character y'all😎 (In retrospect I'm not very fond of this chapter but whatever)

If you enjoyed this chapter please like, share, comment, and vote :)

(Edited) 855 words