Chapter 22

Lilac P.O.V

The line was quiet, suggesting that Hunter was digesting that I, Lilac West, was calling him, my slowly dying, rejected mate.

When Hunter replies, his voice has deepened a few octaves. A seductive edge plays around his words delicately.

D*mn...

"Lilac," Hunter says with a pause. "Why are you calling me?"

I choke on my words, unable to reply.

Why was I calling him?

I chastise myself before replying. "I just wanted to talk to you." I stumble over my words stupidly. "Landon and I are having issues and..."

Hunter lets out a laugh, the deep tone of his voice makes it sound more like a bellow than a laugh.

"So you're using me as a way of payback?" Hunter assumes. I open my mouth before closing it.

That kinda is what I'm doing...

"I guess so... I mean, if you're trying to steal me from Landon, this would be the time to do it!" I joke softly.

Little Bear kicks, as if to say, "Yeah, my daddy did something stupid! But don't do something stupid in return!"

I place my hand on the place Little Bear kicked.

"Sure, I want to claim you, Lilac... but not like this." Hunter says. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

Why is he beating around the bush?

"Not like what?"

"You and Landon's relationship isn't the strongest at the moment. If I sweep in and steal you, I'll be played off as weak." Hunter says exasperatedly.

I start to laugh. "How will you be played off as weak?"

"Any powerful man will attack when their target is strong. My "target" is weak." Hunter explains.

I laugh harder as I think of his analogy. He says target like I'm his prey, and he's the predator.

Then again, he sounds as if he plans on stealing me from Landon sometime later down the line.

"So you're going to "attack" some other time?" I ask in confusion. Hunter's quiet for a few seconds before answering.

"I didn't mean it like that, but you know that I want to claim you, Lilac." Hunter explains.

I nod slowly. "So you're going to try and claim me eventually... just not now?" I ask in confusion. Hunter gives a hum to confirm.

Why are men so weird?

"For now, Lilac. Focus on fixing your relationship with Landon." Hunter forces out.

I'm flabbergasted. Wasn't Hunter trying to make me fall in love with him? Why is he giving me instructions to fix my relationship with Landon?

"Hunter, aren't you-"

Hunter cuts me off with a growl. "It's already hard enough for me to say this. Don't question me, Lilac."

I give a curt OK and don't ask anymore questions that might agitate Hunter. "What do you want me to do now?"

Hunter sighs. "Landon has work tomorrow. Make yourself all pretty, you won't have to do much, and when Landon comes home..."

I turn back to the water boiling on the stove and add the noodles before answering.

"What Landon said... I can't forgive him that easily." I say sadly. Hunter laughs.

"At least you're in a relationship, Lilac! Yes, you'll have your ups and downs, but by the end of the day you should be able to have mind blowing sex and not worry about breaking up."

My mouth opens and closes once again, making me look like a fish. I run my hand through my hair.

"Alright, fine." I pause. "Thank you, Hunter. We should talk more."

I end the call without waiting for Hunter's reply.

Looking down at my belly, I sigh.

Was this relationship worth it? Worth all the trouble? All the trouble of motherhood and trying to keep the fact that Landon's my father a secret?

Yes, it's worth it. It's worth it because you love Landon...

••

I look over my outfit in approval. I'm wearing a form-fitting white dress with a grey cardigan.

Surprisingly, I am actually really exited for Landon to see me in such a tight dress.

Hopefully, Landon and I will be in the bed having I-am-sorry-for-being-an-idiot sex tonight.

I had added a little volume to my hair, giving me bouncy, sexy waves. My make-up was light but not completely invisible.

The only thing I have to do is put the babies down for their naps.

Walking into the nursery, I smile at the cooing babies.

I pick up both of the babies and kiss their cheeks. "Wish Mommy luck!" I coo to them.

Leo giggles before hiding his face with his tiny fist. Luka stares at his brother before glancing at me and smiling.

He's such a Mommy's boy...

I sit down on the rocking chair and look down at the twins. "In about one month, I'm going to be too big to seat you both on my lap comfortably." I rub my belly lovingly. "You have your daddy to thank for that."

I cradle the babies in my arms and start to rock in the chair. I know they are tired, so they won't stay up much longer.

Soon, the babies are snoring in my arms. I smile, thinking about how lucky I am to have such wonderful baby boys.

Standing up, I move to put the babies in their cribs. As I do so, the door to the apartment opens and closes.

He's here, I think anxiously.

I grip the crib, waiting for Landon to come down the hallway. When he does, I call out his name.

"Landon." I pause to slow my heartbeat. "We need to talk."

Landon's body stiffens, he turns around the look at me. "Alright. Let me just take a shower."

I didn't miss when his eyes scan over my body, hunger flashing in his eyes. Landon clears his throat as a bulge starts to appear in his pants.

Lust bubbles up inside of me. I rest a hand on my belly, trying to focus on Little Bear and not Landon's díck pounding in and out of me.

Landon walks into our bedroom and closes the door. I let out a sigh as I walk into the living room.

I sit down and wait for Landon to finish taking a shower. Blowing out a sigh, I think about my plan to solve Landon and I's "problem".

The couch dips, taking me out of my thoughts. I turn to see Landon's handsome face.

"Alright, let's talk."

••••

Sorry if this chapter is short and horrible. The next chapter will be longer.

My life is kind of busy. Between the weather in Texas and my apartment building catching on fire, I've been a busy girl!

Leave feedback! 💋