How To Cause A Distraction

Chapter 21 : How To Cause A Distraction

We were forced to sleep at Gerber’s house for the night. In the morning, we would go straight to my work. The plan was simple: Gerber was going to ring the fire alarm and direct level 11 out of the building. He was going to keep anyone from going into the level. I was going to take Warren and inject the formula into him and the get the hell out of there. Simple enough. Hopefully.

Lucky for me, Gerber only had one spare bedroom. I could tell on his face (behind his terrible black eye) that he wanted to ask me to sleep in his bed, but if he did, I’m positive Warren would’ve fulfilled the threat he spat in Gerb’s face. So I was forced to sleep in the same bed with Warren. It was completely awkward.

Warren sat above the covers, stretched out, watching TV. I was on the opposite side, trying (and failing) to fall asleep. We didn’t dare speak a word to each other. I’m sure I would have flipped out at him and Warren would’ve sent the TV flying into the wall. Not really nice house guests to have.

It was like Warren was waiting for me to fall asleep. Almost as if he fell asleep first, I would’ve snuck off with Gerber. Like he was protecting me. But that was most likely just my hopes soaring. Hope is a terrible and beautiful thing.

The morning came way too quickly. It also came very awkwardly. When I woke up, Warren was wrapped around me like a cocoon. He was gripped onto me so tightly I was almost positive he was having another nightmare. When I stirred in an attempt to get up, he suddenly jerked.

His eyes flung open and he sat up. “Alexa,” He gasped, head snapping towards where I was currently lying. I cocked an eyebrow slowly, staring at his tensed posture.

“Hi,” I said awkwardly, giving a curt wave.

His tensed muscles relaxed and the fear in his eyes decreased into a dull emotion. “Get out.”

“Okay,” I said rather quickly. It gave me a chance to escape unscathed. I grabbed my backpack and headed into the hallway to find a bathroom. I found one and quickly changed into a pair of skinny jeans and a blouse. I left my hair down and then exited to go towards the kitchen.

When I got there, Gerber was already inside, sipping on some coffee. He nodded to the coffee maker. “Want some?”

I nodded. “Please.” As he started to pour me a cup, I fidgeted with my hands. “Look,” I sighed, not able to look him in the eyes. “I’m really sorry for what Warren did to you yesterday - ”

“I get it,” He cut me off, saving me an explanation. “You’re more than just friends with the guy. But Alexa, believe me when I say this,” He gave me a serious look, his infamous nose wrinkle not for the first time was not on his face, “You can always count on me for anything.”

I nodded once more. “Thanks, Gerb. Really, it means a lot.”

He smiled back at me. “You’re welcome.”

Warren chose that exact moment to pop inside. He looked between me, then to Gerb, and the fire in his eyes ignited again. “Did I interrupt something?”