How To Bargain With Death

Chapter 15 : How To Bargain With Death

“You know,” Joel said after several minutes of an awkward silence between the two of us, “I’m not going to hurt you. I might bite, but my bark is louder.” A smirk swelled on his face. “Especially in bed.”

“Oh my God,” I muttered underneath my breath. I should’ve went with Warren to go pick up the Chinese food. I did not want to stay here and deal with this arrogant maniac who stays inside a boarded-up apartment complex.

“You want a beer?” Joel asked after taking a sip of his own. “It’s pretty much all I have here.”

“No, I’m fine,” I said as I shifted on his couch. It was a rather uncomfortable couch and it was too small to fit three people. So yes, I was extremely close to Joel, even though I did not want to be.

Joel groaned and tossed his head back. He rolled it so that his blond head was facing me. “You don’t speak much.”

“I don’t have much to say right now.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know.”

“Am I boring?”

I gave him a crazy look. “What? No - ”

“Do you like me?”

“Not really - ”

“Do you think I’m attractive?”

I’m pretty sure my cheeks were red hot by now. “Uh, well - ”

“Do you looooove me?”

“I never said - ”

“Do you want to kisssss me?”

I glared at him. “You are acting like a child.”

His head was pretty much on my shoulder now. He grinned his pearly whites up at me while his messy blonde curls flopped on my shoulder. “Growing up is overrated.”

I sighed. “I agree.”

“You know - ” His grin suddenly turned mischievous. “ - I never did get that drink I wanted from you.”

My eyes turned wide. “Uh, let me give you a rain check on that one.”

“Why?” He hummed. “You’re here, I’m here…alone…”

“I’d rather keep my blood in my body, thank you - ”

“But it smells so good - ”

“It’s blood - no!”