chapter 9

ROSALINE

I was getting prepared to join the other girls at Pulack but thoughts of last night still kept bugging me. I don’t think I can face Don Alessandro today.

I walked into Pulack in my tight skirt and bra top and my black hair in an up do.

My eyes landed on Alessandro as I walked in. he seemed to be busy as he did not even stop talking.

It was time for us to serve the men, and my eyes landed on Alessandro’s cold ones, then he looked away. The ladies swayed their hips towards them.

I was walking towards him to fill his cup, when he noticed me and beckoned on another girl, ‘’Alice’’, he called and raised his cup to her.

I walked up to another man that I recognized, for some reasons his face looked familiar. ‘’Where do I know him from?’’ I thought , walking towards the long hair man.

I refilled his drink peacefully, not until I felt his hands from behind sliding in between my legs. I felt uncomfortable to say the least. I tried wriggling his hands off me by shaking my legs, but his grip hardened.

A loud bang resonated in the room, shocking me. I looked to where the sound came from and I saw Alessandro on his feet with his hands on the table. The look on his face looked like rage, anger. Anger.

‘’Alessandro’’, another man I know to be Stefano called out, as Alessandro walked towards where I stood, his eyes fixated on me. When he got to where I stood, he took me by the arm and dragged me out.

When we got outside, to a quiet place, he turned around to look at me, then he exhaled sharply. ‘’You said you were a virgin right? I didn’t know you meant you were a bitch?’’. The way he said it was really like a slap to my face. ‘’What do you mean?’’ I asked calmly. ‘’You left last night on the note that you were a virgin’’, he said eyeing me, ‘but today look at you, letting everybody touch you anyhow’’, he continued.

‘’What?, first of all, you told me to leave last night, secondly, what do you expect me to do with all your kinds in there?’’ I asked, not knowing where this boldness came from.

‘’You know who you are talking to, I won’t allow a mere prostitute like you to talk to me in that manner, so I hope you know your place’’ he spoke, ‘’or what will you do?’’ I asked, without thinking.

In what felt like seconds, he brought out a gun and pointed it to my head. ‘’This’’ he said, and I felt my heart skip a beat, as tears begin to slide down my cheeks.

‘’First, you complain about me letting anyone touch me, then you call me a mere prostitute who should know her place, just tell me which one it is’’ I said, feeling the tears slide down more, and the look of shock on his face.

‘’I…’’ he was saying, before Stefano came and cut him off, ‘’Alessandro, what do you think you are doing with a gun, pointed at one of ours?’’ Stefano roared, ‘’I…’’ Alessandro started, but was cut off by Stefano again. ‘’Go to your room’’ he said to me.

I walked out of there, wiping my tears as I heard Stefano talking to his brother, ‘’you really need to work on your anger’’ I heard him say, before I was fully out of the scene.

‘’What happened?, why are your eyes puffy?’’ Mabel asked, as I walked into the room, she wasn’t suppose to be here now, ‘’nothing, why are you here?’’ I asked, changing the topic, diverting the topic to her.

‘’well my period decided to start today so no work for me for the next three days’’ she said, ‘’three days?’’ I asked, surprised and she nodded. ‘’I do mine for five days with severe pain, but you seem to be doing just fine’’ I told her, clearly jealous.

‘’I didn’t even know it had come, no pain at all, I just felt it in my panties’’ she said nonchalantly, ‘’I’m jealous of you, come to think of it, I’ve been feeling pain in my lower abdomen this past few days’’ I said, ‘’and that was probably the reason why I became emotional and cried in front of Alessandro’’ I thought.

‘’Girl it is on its way’’ Mabel said. I lay down on my stomach, as I felt the pain erupt from my lower abdomen to my back.

I walked to the toilet to ease myself, after taking piss, I decided to rinse off, when I felt a sticky substance on my hand, ‘’No, no, no’’ I kept on repeating, as I saw blood on my finger, I shouted. Mabel ran to the toilet, ‘’what happened?’’ she asked, clearly surprised and I gave her a sad face, ‘’it has arrived?’’ she asked, smiling and I nodded, while she burst out laughing.