• XVI •

Back at the entrance of Steyliff Grove, Aranea stood beside Biggs and Wedge. "Congrats. That concludes your "training." You've still got a hard path ahead, but don't let anyone tell you how to walk it."

"You may have been hired under false pretenses, but your assistance was invaluable all the same," Ignis said.

She smirked slightly. "Hmph. Tell me something I don't know. You can spare the pleasantries."

"Take care walking your path, Aranea."

"Oh, right. Thanks—I will. And I'll "train" you some more if our paths cross again. Oh, and before I forget—His Excellency instructed me to give you boys and firefly a ride back. If you need a lift, feel free to hop on." Aranea walks off with her acquaintances.

Ignis pulls out his phone and checks it just as Prompto sighed in relief. "Well, glad that's over with!"

The strategist lowered his phone after reading the information Cindy sent him. "Noct, I have just received word from Cindy."

"And?" Noctis asked.

"We're to return to Lestallum. Her friend works as an engineer at the power plant. She'll take care of the mythril."

"Uh-huh. And that'll take care of our boat problem!" The sharpshooter cheered.

"Once you're rested and ready, I suggest we hasten back to Lestallum. Make sure you're prepared," Ignis stated.

"Shame to say goodbye to such a nice fishing spot. Wanna see what's biting before we bail?"

Noctis' eyes gleamed at the thought of fishing at the Vesperpool. "Hell yeah I wanna fish."

Before the prince could take another step, Callyx came stomping over with a sharp glare directed towards (Y/n). He walked straight towards her, but was stopped when Prompto built up the courage to place himself between the two guardians. The man was unamused and growled at the boy, "Step aside, human. I won't hesitate to kill you. Either way, I get what I want."

"What's your deal?" Prompto asked, glaring back at him.

"That damned bitch standing behind you," Callyx spat.

The marksman was about to summon his pistol, but stopped when Ardyn sauntered over with an eerie smile plastered to his face. "Now, now. This squabble should be solved righteously."

The emerald-eyed spirit looked towards the chancellor. "The hell're you proposing?"

"A duel, to put it in simple terms."

Callyx scoffed. "You just want some entertainment."

"Do you not desire to settle this dispute, Callyx?" Ardyn questioned his guardian.

"Of course I do."

The chancellor casted his somewhat odd smile in (Y/n)'s direction. "Do you accept?"

Prompto turned around to face his girlfriend. "Why don't we just leave, (Y/n)? Let's forget about these guys."

"Couldn't agree more," Noctis spoke up.

(Y/n) thought for a few seconds before meeting Ardyn's gaze. "If I go through with this, what happens if I win?"

"You and your companions can be on your merry way without the fear of a target on your back. Of course, only for a short while. If you were to lose, I believe Callyx will deal with you personally," the auburn-haired man answered.

She scowled at him. "You're threatening me?"

"Of course not, my dear. I only believe it to be fair if my dearest friend were to win, he'd get to do what he pleases with you. If he so desires to see your demise, he may dispose of you."