♡📍Maybe we could be more📍♡

Part two to the last Illumi one shot I wrote!

Au: arranged marriage/royalty

Character: Illumi Zoldyck 

Warnings: none 

Gender neutral pronouns

Enjoy~☆

~~

"What are you doing here?" A voice called out calmly. Much to my surprise,it was Illumi. He wore a white long sleeve night shirt with some black shorts.

"I could say the same to you." I chuckled a bit. I just looked up at the sky, which was so very dark and yet so filled with beautiful shining stars. Illumi sat down on the bench next to me and did the same. I looked over to him and noticed how his usually dull eyes seemed sparkly under the moonlight. "My mother always said that this represents my future. It seems dark at first, but there are little dots of life if you look closer." I said, turning my head towards the sky once again.

"Interesting." He muttered, his eyes glued on the stars above us. "Where is your mother?" He asked softly.

"She died a few minutes after giving birth to Adelaide. She knew though. She told me not to resent Adelaide but to protect her. To my father, Adelaide killed my mother. That's a mind set no one can ever change. Despite having a broken heart, he is a cruel and evil man. He's always been that way." I explained. Illumi just nodded.

"I'm sorry to hear that." He said, turning to face me. He still wore his infamous frown, but his eyes were much softer. I shifted around, not quite sure what to do after this.

 "Ten years old." I said, now looking at the ground. "That's how young I was when my family started trying to marry me off."

"I'm aware. Why are you telling me?" Illumi was now fully turned to me, paying closer attention than before.

"15 years later...and this the first one I haven't fought against marrying." I muttered just loud enough for Illumi to hear if he was really paying attention. I looked back up at him, glancing at the details of his eyes. His cheeks had a shade of light pink on them, but he didn't acknowledge it.

"What are you trying to say?" He backed up a little bit, his inky hair flowing in the slight breeze. My eyebrows furrowed and I moved a bit farther away from him. "Forgive me if this is too forward, but I'd like to know exactly what you mean." He sighed.

"What I mean is... What I mean is that you're not as bad as everyone else. You're caring deep underneath that brooding facade of yours. And you're kind and compassionate. You care about the same things I do, and you don't laugh at me for that. I just think that... I think maybe we were supposed to get married regardless of arrangements." I fumbled a bit, but I managed to get the words out. Illumi didn't say anything and I tilted my head a bit lower.

"Y/n." He grabbed my shoulder and cupped my cheek with his hand. "Those words were very kind of you to say, but unfortunately I have to deny everything. I'm just as terrible as everyone else in this cruel world, if not worse. I appreciate the sentiment, but we were born without true love. Royal heirs don't have those. They'd hold us back. If this is how you feel, I suppose it's good we'll be wed. But I can't show you that same affection you wish for." He sighed. I felt tears prick my eyes.

"And why is that?" I grabbed onto the hand that was on my cheek while he removed the one on my shoulder.

"Because..." He stopped. He hesitated and sounded like he was at a loss for words. "Because it'd prove how weak I really am." He chocked out, looking as though he were about to cry.