Chapter 4

"Zayn, you can leave." Emma told me in an annoyed voice.

"But I wanna keep you company. And I'm a paying customer. You can't make me leave." I pointed out. She rolled her eyes and I sipped my coffee, smiling in victory. "So do you manage the whole shop alone often?" I asked. She was the only one at work.

"Yeah, it happens a lot." She replied.

"You don't get messed with by anybody, right?" I inquired, going into overprotective big brother mode. A young, pretty girl at work all alone. That never ends well.

"Not too much." She shrugged. I frowned. I used to always be there to protect her when she needed it.

"So are we getting on a level of friendship maybe?" I asked hopefully.

"I'm not your friend, Malik. Don't even think that for a second." She retorted.

"Well, I'm sorry, Emmy."

"Don't call me that." She snapped.

"I'm sorry, Em." I used another nickname. She rolled her eyes. "And if anything ever happens, just know you can tell me about it."

"Not when you leave to tour in a few weeks. Niall told me all about that." She reminded me flatly.

"You can call, or text, or Skype me." I told her. Nobody else was in the coffee shop since most people were at work right now. She didn't answer. "So what happened to my shy Emma who hated alcohol and short shorts?"

"What happened to the Zayn that didn't judge me for everything I do?" She snapped.

"I'm not judging you." I put my hands up in defense. "I was just asking."

"That Emma died the day you tried out for The X-Factor and never spoke to me again." She said in a hurt and angry voice.

"Well, can we bring her back?" I asked. As I expected, Emma ignored me and didn't say anything else. "What did you do to your hair? I thought you looked good as a brunette." I said.

"I got tired of it." She murmured.

"Well, either way, you're still my beautiful best friend, Emmy." I told her. She glared at me for using that nickname.

"Do you ever shut up?" She asked.

"Sometimes. When we're on interviews I don't talk a lot because I don't wanna say the wrong thing. But around people that I actually like I talk a lot. And in front of the press I always get really shy." I rambled. "One time Harry fell I front of the paps, so we all pretended to fall so he wouldn't be embarrassed. And then one time-"

"Hey, Em." A masculine voice interrupted me. I looked up and saw some tall guy with dark brown hair staring at Emma. When did he even get in here?

"Josh, what are you doing here? You don't even like coffee." Her mood worsened upon seeing this 'Josh' character.

"I can't come see my favorite girl while she's at work." He winked at her. "Who's this kid?" He asked, gesturing towards me. He calls me a kid? I'm nineteen, thank you very much. How old is he? Seventeen?

"I'm her boyfriend. And you are?" I stood up with a sudden wave of courage. Oh damn. Why did I say that? Way to go, Zayn. Don't you just like screwing things up.

"Since when do you have a boyfriend?" He asked Emma.

"Just go away, Josh. Nobody wants you here." She rolled her eyes at him.

"Alright, I'll go away. You have fun with your little punk ass boyfriend." He said before storming out.

"He seems nice." I interrupted the silence.

"Any other excuse in the world, and you choose to say you're my boyfriend?" She looked at me in disbelief.

"But it got him to go away." I pointed out victoriously. "Who was that, anyway?" I inquired.

"He was a one night thing. Obsessive is a word I would use to describe him." She said, picking at her fingernails painted white.

"One night thing?" I raised an eyebrow at her. "You mean you aren't a virgin?" I asked slowly, not being about to believe it. She nodded. That was the last thing I would expect from her.