Chapter 3

"Emmy, won't you just listen to me?" I begged repeatedly.

"Just let me go to sleep." She groaned.

"Not until you talk to me." I refused. She rolled over, facing away from me in the bed. I poked her in the back numerous times until she turned around, annoyed.

"You have, like, ten minutes." She finally agreed and sat up. She had on one of my white t-shirts and a pair of my basketball shorts.

"Okay, first thing is that I'm really sorry for not talking to you." I apologized. "And I'm gonna do everything I can to be sure that you never get away from me again and I'm gonna make it all up to you."

"You can't make up two years in a month, Zayn." She reminded me.

"It never hurts to try." I shrugged. "And I have a question to ask you. Please don't be mad when I ask you, okay?" I told her. She nodded for me to continue. "Do you like me?"

"As of right now, I can't stand you." She answered.

"Well, say we became friends or even best friends again. Would you like me?" I rephrased my question.

"If you were my friend, then yeah I'd like you as a friend." She stated.

"No, I mean, like, as more than a friend." I tried to say it simply. "Like a boyfriend like."

"Well, uh..." She trailed off.

"You like me!" I exclaimed in joy.

"I never said that!" She hit me on the arm, which didn't hurt very much. "You didn't let me finish!"

"But you like me! I know it!" I was a little bit too excited.

"No, I liked you when we were little and you weren't a prick." She said sharply. Her face was red in embarrassment though.

"Then why is your face red, Emmy Bear?" I asked with a wink.

"Can you stop with the nicknames already?" She asked in exasperation. "I don't like you and I don't know why you would think that."

"Admit it, Em. You fancy me, don't you?" I teased.

"Just shut up." She mumbled and hid her red face in her hands. I couldn't help but smirk. I patted her back.

"Don't worry. I won't tell anybody." I winked at her. She ignored me and rolled over, facing them opposite way again. Oh yay, I just messed up again. "Em, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was that personal for you." I immediately apologized to her.

She didn't answer.

"Emmy, talk to me please." I asked quietly. She shook her head and curled up in a ball under the duvet. "Emma Danielle, don't make me tickle you." I threatened, poking at her sides. She edged away from me. I sighed and leaned my head against the headboard. "You're impossible."

"And you're a douche."

It hurt knowing she would only speak to me when she was insulting me. But I deserved every bit of it and more. I would be mad if the person I liked ignored me for two years and then wanted everything to go back to normal. This situation is so messed up. I settled into the bed and stared at the ceiling fan until I heard her barely audible snores. I pulled the duvet off of me and took my shirt off, not being able to sleep with one on. Once I was comfortably back in bed, I wrapped my arm around her tiny waist and pulled her to my chest. The next second I was peacefully asleep.

***

"Zayn?" a tired voice from beside me asked.

"Go back to bed, Emmy. It's early." I mumbled even though I was half asleep and didn't know the time.

"Zayn, its half past nine. I have work at ten thirty." she said, pulling away from my grasp.

"Where do you work?" I asked, opening my eyes for a change.

"A coffee shop. And I can't afford to lose that job. So I need a ride back to my flat." she told me.

Oh shit. I forgot to put her keys back.

"Uh, yeah. I'll give you a ride." I offered. She went in my bathroom to change back into her clothes. I took this as an opportunity to put her keys in her purse.

"I probably need to go to Jade's flat and look for my keys." she said.

"Why don't you check your purse again?"