Chapter 29

Chase

I couldn't tell if I was numb or relieved. Sure, I didn't plan on having a kid this early in life and certainly not with Kelsey, but I had spent all this time getting use to the idea... and maybe even looking forward to being a dad. Breaking the cycle and doing the opposite of what my old man did.

She showed me the ultrasound.

But she didn't let you go to the doctors appointment.

I ran my hand over my face as Kelsey walked through the door, pausing when she saw Scarlet sitting beside me. She looked at her sister and scrunched her face.

"What's all this?"

"Kels, I told them. I couldn't keep that secret. Not from them and definitely not from Ethan," Leah said quickly.

Kelsey's eyes darkened as she moved her graze back to me. "She doesn't know what she's talking about."

"Cut the shit. I'm done with your games," I spat out.

"Chase—"

"Don't!" I yelled. "Tell me the fucking truth. Are you even pregnant?"

Her eyes went big as she attempted to move closer to me. "Of course I am..." she trailed off and looked at her sister for support.

"Why have you been drinking then? Why won't you let me into your doctors appointments? Huh?"

"I haven't—"

"Aaron saw you, Kelsey. You were drinking at some fucking bar. What the hell is wrong with you? How could you lie to me about something as big as me becoming a father?"

Kelsey started crying. "You were pushing me away! I didn't want to lose you!" She yelled.

"So you fake a pregnancy to... what? Make me stay?"

"Yes! And then I found out about that bitch!" She pointed at Scarlet. "I had to find a way to get you guys apart." She started sobbing harder and grabbing at the front of my shirt. "I love you so much, Chase!"

"You love me, huh? You love me so much that you got me attached to the idea of having a baby! And for what, huh? Only for me to find out that it doesn't exist! You love me so much that you drugged me!"

"I'm sorry!" She screamed.

"Like hell you're sorry. You're just sorry that you got caught. You need some fucking help."

She melted to the ground and started crying in her own hands as I walked over to Scarlet. "Leave us both the hell alone, Kelsey. No more of this shit."

"Please don't leave, Chase! I can't live without you!" Kelsey screamed.

"What was going to happen at the end of this and there wasn't a baby?" I asked.

"We could have made one," she said softly, looking up at me with tears in her eyes.

"Oh, I get it. We'd get back together, have unprotected sex since you were already "pregnant," and then actually conceive a baby. Got it. And your due date would have changed but I wouldn't have questioned that." I rolled my eyes. "You need help, Kelsey."

"I-I didn't think that far ahead..."

"You weren't thinking at all. Jesus."

I grabbed Scarlet's hand and walked with her over to the door. "I appreciate you telling us the truth, Leah. I really do."

"You deserved to know," she said sadly.

Ethan crossed the room and pulled Scarlet in for a hug before turning to me. He grinned and slapped my back. "So glad I didn't have to kick your ass."