Chapter 21

Chase

"What the hell did you say to Scarlet?" I said, walking outside and standing in front of Kelsey and her sister.

Kelsey rolled her eyes and let out a half laugh.

I narrowed my eyes, waiting for her response that obviously wasn't coming. "Seriously, Kelsey. What was said? She's inside crying."

"I'm sorry that your perfect girlfriend is crying, my bad." She said, her voice drowning in sarcasm. "And it's none of your damn business what I said to her. You lost the right to know my business when you cheated on me and left."

"That's how you wanna play this?" I stepped closer. "Stay the fuck away from Scarlet. Whatever you have against me, I get it. But come at me, not her. She didn't even know about you in the beginning."

Her eyes widened. "In the beginning? How long was this little fling going on for?"

"I'm not doing this right now," I said as I shook my head and started to turn around.

Kelsey grabbed my arm and whispered, "Wait."

I turned back toward her but didn't speak, just sighed and waited for her to continue.

"I'm sorry, okay? She came out here all high and mighty and I snapped. I love you and I won't apologize for being mad— no, for being pissed off. I wish you needed me as much as I need you."

I moved my arm out of her grasp and scratched the back of my neck. "I'm sorry, Kelsey. I really am. Just... please stay away from Scarlet. Don't involve her in this. I'll be here for the baby, no questions asked. But that's it, it's over between us."

I stuck my hands in my pockets and headed back to the house. I felt like the world's biggest asshole but I had to be honest. I couldn't wait any longer to start my life with Scarlet. The timing fucking sucked, I know, but sometimes that's just how life works.

I wasn't expecting Scarlet to call me drunk needing a ride that night but she did. I knew I had a girlfriend when I brought her back to my place and I definitely fucking knew that I had a girlfriend when I slept with her. I couldn't hold myself back anymore. That was my problem, not Scarlet's.

Scarlet wasn't in the living room when I came inside. Jordan was on his phone and Ethan was pacing, quickly stopping when he saw me come in.

"What did she say? Scar won't tell us a damn thing," Ethan said nervously.

"Kelsey won't tell me, told me it was non of my business."

"Bullshit," Jordan said, standing up. "You better rein her in, Chase. And fucking Leah, too." He looked at Ethan. "I know they're pissed but if they fuck with my sister again, I'm going off."

"I'll talk to Leah tonight, promise," Ethan said, running his hand through his hair.

"You better. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and she better not bring that shit to our parent's house."

Ethan nodded in understanding. He knew how pissed off Jordan was. Truthfully, he was probably feeling the same way but he had to think about Leah, too. She was his fiancé, the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. He had to tread lightly. He had a lot to fucking lose.

"Where's Scarlet?" I asked.

Jordan pointed to the hallway. "Guest room."

I knocked lightly before opening the door. "Scar?"

She was laying on her side facing the door, her red eyes meeting mine when I peeked inside.

"Please tell me what Kelsey said. Or was it Leah?" I asked, crossing the room and sitting down.