Chapter 5

Scarlet

Life has a weird way of knocking you off course. When I was little I couldn't wait to grow up and go off to college. But now? Well, now all I wanted was my mom. I wanted to snuggle up in her big bed and watch movies while she scratched my head.

"Well, what a lovely surprise. Come here my girl, I've missed you." My mom pulled me in for a hug.

As soon as I was wrapped in her arms, tears started falling. I didn't realize how much I had missed her. How much I needed her in this moment.

"Honey, what's wrong?" She pulled away before bringing me to the couch.

"I'm fine. Really. I just needed you today." I plastered on a fake smile.

"Scarlet, you can tell me anything. I hope you know that."

"I know." I smiled and laid my head against her shoulder.

We just sat there for an hour, not saying a word. She held me and let me cry, and we watched favorite cooking shows.

"I know you don't want to talk about it but it's my job to remind you how special you are. I'm assuming this is about a boy and although I've been with your father most of my life and probably have no idea what you're going through..."

You definitely don't.

"But baby you are such a prize. You will make somebody so happy one day. Not a boy that doesn't know what he wants but an actual man. Okay?"

All I could do was nod. I knew she was right but it was beyond my control. I have no way of shutting down the feelings I had for Chase. He was the only thing that made sense to me. He was the moon that lite up my entire sky.

~

"Grace, come with me. My brothers love you. I can't face Chase by myself. You're the only person who knows. I need you."

"Fine. But if he tries to talk to you... Scar, I swear I will go off. I'm warning you. He's an asshole."

"I know and I'm not defending him but he didn't know that I was a virgin. I didn't disclose that information before hand."

"I don't care. Virgin or not, the way he treated you right afterwards isn't okay. It's bullshit Scarlet.

"I love you, you know that?"

"Yes," she kissed my cheek as we both walked out the door. "I also know how amazing you are. Let me set you up with Jeff's friend. He's older and very attractive."

"How much older?"

"I think he's like 22 or 23. Anyway, he's a family friend of Jeff's and is a cool guy. I've met him a few different times."

"Sure. Okay, let's do it."

"Really?" She jumped up and down.

"Relax." I laughed. "Let's do a double date or something easy like that. Is that okay? Do people still double date?"

"Absolutely. We'll have a lot of fun, just have an open mind. Stop worrying about Chase."

"Chase who?"

She giggled. "That's my girl."

Chase

"Yo, E. I'm here."

Ethan walked in the living room, smiling, pulling me in for a hug, "What's up brother. It's been a minute."

"Your pops has been keeping my ass real busy," I said, trying to excuse why I've been MIA.