Chapter 16

Chase

Hey, Scar. I know I should have told you about the baby, I just didn't know how. I've never been with her without protection and — sorry, that's not important. Dammit. I know I messed up. I know you aren't ready for kids and I don't blame you, I'm not either. But I'm asking you... I'm asking you to try. I know this isn't fair of me to ask but I need you. I really fucking need you, Scarlet. Please call me back.

Scarlet won't take my calls. I decided that pouring my heart out over voicemail would be my next best bet. I needed to tell her how much I needed her. How much I loved her. I loved her so damn much.

Today I needed to fix shit and after Scarlet, that started by talking to Ethan and Jordan. They were my boys, my brothers. I sent them both the same text message and hoped they'd eventually want to talk about it.

I should have told you guys. I'm sorry.

Next, I called Kelsey and she picked up right away. My stomach was in knots driving over to her apartment. I didn't want her to beg me to stay with her or bring the baby into the mix for leverage. This kid wouldn't be used against me. I would be a kick ass dad and I didn't need to be with Kelsey in order for that to happen.

"Want something to drink?" Kelsey asked, as I was sitting down at the kitchen table.

"Nah, thanks though."

I was tapping my fingers on the table, trying to figure out how to start this conversation. She slowly made her way over to the table and sat across from me, a defeated expression on her face. Yeah, I felt like a dick and I should have ended this much sooner. It hasn't escaped my mind that if I had ended things when I should have, I wouldn't be in this fucking situation.

"Before you say anything, I want you to know that I am so mad at you, Chase. So. Mad. I never thought you would be hurt me like this. I trusted you. And with Scarlet?" She covered her face as fresh tears poured from her face. "How could you do this to me?"

"I didn't mean to hurt you, Kels. I really didn't. It all just happened..." I said, scratching the back of my neck. "I have always loved her and I'm sorry that I led you on."

"She's worth risking your family for?"

"Scarlet is my family."

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever, Chase. This baby needs his or her parents together. You are already making their life more difficult! How does that make you feel?"

"You know I feel like shit."

"Then let's fix this!" She said, throwing her hands in the air. "Ethan will never let you two have a relationship and did you happen to catch Jordans reaction? HE HIT YOU."

"They'll come around."

She burst into laughter. "Right. Congratulations, but you just came in between Scarlet and her brothers. I hope you thought ruining that was worth it."

"I didn't come here to talk about Scarlet. We need to talk about the baby."

"I'm keeping it if that's what you're asking."

"I know and I want to be involved. Don't cut me out just because shit didn't work out with us."

"I would never do that to you. We made this baby together and I want to raise him together. I'm not letting you go that easily, Chase. Go have your fun with Scarlet and I'll be here waiting. You're baby and I will be waiting."

"Kelsey—"

"Stop it." She closed her eyes, trying to steady her breathing. "I love you. This baby needs us both and I'm not giving up the dream of all three of us together. You two are the only things that matter to me right now."