Chapter 24

Scarlet

It had been a month since Thanksgiving and Chase and I were going strong. It wasn't that I was surprised that things were going so well but I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe it was just hard to believe that after everything, Chase and I were finally free to be together. Free to be us.

Kelsey was calling Chase everyday and even stopping by his work which was kind of frustrating, but I had to realize that they were having a baby together and that was a huge deal. It was important. She was important. I had to get use to it.

I hated the idea of them being involved for the rest of their lives. In the back of my mind all I could think about was how she was going to share something with him so important that not even I could compete. And I didn't want to. Chase would be a great dad and I would be there to help when he needed me.

Aaron was quickly becoming one of my favorite people. We had been spending a bunch of time together working on our project and last week he came over to my apartment so we could finish it. He was so funny, I felt like I had known him for years.

I got to class just as the professor was setting up and I slid into the seat beside Aaron. "Hey," I whispered as I got my notebook and pen out.

"Hey, Scar."

"I'm ready to see who gets the column in the newspaper. Think our project was good enough to snag it?"

A smug smile made its way to his lips. "Duh."

I smacked his shoulder and laughed.

Professor Williams began talking and the room got quiet. He went over last weeks homework and then began talking about what everybody was waiting to hear about, the project that would lead to column space in our campus newspaper.

Our topic was hate crime and Aaron was really passionate about it. His father was black while his mother had been white. He told me several stories about growing up in an interracial household and how he would notice the difference between how strangers would treat his parents, even when he was just a child.

I think that's what really took our project to the next level, the passion behind it. I was proud of what we did and thankful I got paired with him.

"Emails will be sent with your grades as soon as class is over but I wanted to announce the pair that will work together on the campus newsletter and have their own column for the remaining part of the year. You should be very proud of yourselves. Congratulations, Aaron Scott and Scarlet James. Further information will be emailed by the end of the week."

I gasp and wanted to do a happy dance. I reached over and grabbed Aarons arm, shaking it in excitement.

"Hell, yeah," he gushed.

Students began packing up and some told us congrats on the win. Both of us were still smiling from ear to ear.

"Want to grab some coffee?" Aaron asked, holding the door open for me.

"Might as well. My next class was cancelled."

We walked over to Jo's Coffee and I sat down while he ordered for us. As I scooted into the booth, a familiar voice made the hair on my arms stick up. I closed my eyes before looking up. Kelsey.

"Oh, he's cute. Does he have a girlfriend, too?"

I rolled my eyes and bit my bottom lip before responding. "He's just a friend, relax."

"Does Chase know you're friends with that sexy piece of ass?"

My silence made her laugh. "Of course he doesn't know. Chase is a jealous guy, ya know."