Chapter 2

“Is it my birthday today?" After some quick counting of days in my head I Realise it is. I haven’t celebrated a birthday in 2 years. But if I forgot how did anyone else know? Something is wrong here, the scent my wolf smelled earlier, it's stronger now, but still not strong enough to mean anyone is here. Unless that person left something behind, something that I am holding in my hand right now. 

"What’s going on here?" I shift into my wolf so I can check the scent again, she sniffs the box and the cake. It’s definitely the same scent that I could smell at my scarring. But it’s also the same scent I can usually only get a hint of when my secret helper has been here. So does that mean that my secret helper is one of the alphas guard that watches my scarring? Is this some sort of sick joke that the alpha has been playing on me all along? Letting me think that someone cares about me, only to find out that my secret helper is in on my beatings and scarrings? No, this is not right, it can't be, the alpha would only enjoy it if I am hurting because of what he is doing to me and he doesn't know that I know. But if it’s not the alpha, then what the hell is going on? Why would anyone take care of me for two years, making sure I have a hot bath after the same scarring that they just attended? It makes no sense. Unless it’s the alpha trying to make sure that I don't just let him finish me off after a scarring by shifting, always making sure there is a bath there so that I don't give up and die. Because if I die then who will be his play thing? “oh god my head hurts" ok, I'll try figure this out in the morning, I still need to do my duties tomorrow. I blow out the candles and walk to my bed, I lie down and stare at the ceiling going over it all trying to figure out what’s going on. After a few hours I manage to fall asleep.

I wake up gasping for air, sitting up, trying to fight off the invisible demons from last night’s many, many nightmares. Being locked in a dungeon, the walls closing in on me, so many hands trying to grab me, agonising screams in my head. I shudder at the memories. I get out of bed and walk over to my water jug, there is still a bit left, my throat feels so raw, like I was swallowing sandpaper all night. I pour myself a mug, and drink it down, it takes me all of a second. Ok, now to grab a quick bite to eat. I think I still have a bit of bread left, "that will do" as I'm eating the bread, I comb my hair and tie it up and braid it as always, then get my work clothes on. Surprisingly my work clothes are the best clothes I own, and they are my favourite. I wear a fitted black shirt and a full length black skirt, I also wear a small white apron around my waist. And my favourite black pumps. One of the reasons that this is my favourite outfit is because I look just like all the other maids so I don't stand out in the crowd, but the main reason is most of my scars are hidden apart from one on my neck. Ok it's time to go to work. 

I walk out the door and head to the maid's station. We never know where we are going to work until the morning of our shift, we are assigned to a house in order of who arrives first. Unless we are specifically requested by a family. That has never happened to me. I enjoy working, it takes my mind off everything. I however am not entitled to a wage, another of the alphas rules, but I am given a food package at the start of the week, I have perfected the art of making it last the whole week and making very tasty meals, I have a few herbs growing around my hut. I'm not sure where they came from but I take good care of them.

Arriving at the maid's station and make my way over to Gretta, she is the one who deals out the work rota. "Good morning Gretta" I say while bowing slightly

" Ah Lucy, we have a request for you today" she checks her notes " yes, eh, right, Lucy, you are to check in at alpha Declan's"

WHAT? That's all I can think, I don't even notice that Gretta is talking to me until she waves her hand in front of my eyes

"Lucy, did you hear me? You are working in alpha Declan's home today"

" Thank you Gretta" I manage to blurt out, I turn around and walk back out the door I came in just a few minutes ago, back when even my life seemed relatively normal. What has he got planned for me today?