1 | One Last Breath

WITH a simple exhale of air, Jessica watched everyone heap into the house from the middle of the stairs

The Kansas weather was brisk, making sense of the black heavy coverings. The wind blew in from the front door, kicking up an even colder breeze that made Clark's carcass seem even colder.  She could feel every sharp prick of the icy air as it stung at her nerves.

She remained lurking in the shadows as she observed individuals pay their respects to her brother. These were all people that she has, certainly, never seen before or hasn't seen in a very long time.

She tried to stay away from any conversations that dealt with her feelings since she had no other feeling but the strongest of sorrows. She hadn't moved from the stairs, she felt like a statue forever bound to the surface it was chiseled on.

But she wasn't a statue, she was a living breathing creature that wished she had died alongside her brother. Without powers, she was as good as dead.

She leaned her head on the wooden pillars that held up the railing. She stared at her brother's casket from between the cracks while her heart further throbbed, making her throat clench up to hold back the sob that wanted to release itself.

Jess rubbed the palm of her hand on her black dress while letting out a shaky exhale of air from her dry lips. Pushing herself up off the steps, being mindful of her hindered right arm, she walked down the steps like a mouse.

The room quieted itself once they caught wind of Jessica's bruised form. Martha and Lois told people she was found underneath the rubble after the fight with Doomsday in Metropolis.

They studied how she had a little limp when she walked, the black sling clinging off her shoulder, and the cuts and bruises that scattered over her face. The markings looked worse a few weeks ago, she still had her healing factor. Although larger wounds and deformities took longer to heal.

She stopped right in front of the light wood casket. She felt her heart thumping twice as fast as if it tried hard enough; it could help her relieve that vacant part in her soul. She stared him over with a dense swallow.

Ever so slowly, she lifted her hand to touch Clark's forehead. When her fingertips grazed over the surface of his cold skin, she flinched her hand away.

Now, this may be a normal reaction to the humans watching her sympathetically. To Martha, this was a more severe response than anything.

Much like any sibling, losing the one person you shared a loving home with is bound to cause sorrow. Jessica and Clark's relationship was different than most siblings. They could feel what the other was feeling, sometimes even by accident. Fear, passion, anger, they fueled each other's ambitions by speaking to one another through their parapsychological bond. One could be hundreds of miles away and all they would need to do was say one word and they could hear it.