Chapter 15- The Gala (Part 2)

Y/n POV

It was Miles and Kathy. And it wasn't any regular kissing, it was french kissing. They were into it for some time until they broke apart. Miles looked at me with sorrow but I just ran out of the museum. 

"Mrs. Baldwin, I have something to do so um, I have to leave early. Thank you for everything, it's been splendid." I said quickly and rushed out of the place. I just needed some air and time to comprehend everything that was going on. I walked on and on to my favorite place, the bridge over the river. 

I was standing there for a while trying to process all that had happened. Miles cheated on me?! He was kissing Kathy. He didn't pull apart. He didn't even run after me. I guess this is what my life is supposed to be. A lonely, hardworking nerd who will never find any love for herself. 

It started raining after some thirty minutes of me standing at the bridge. Did he even care about me ever? I was wondering how I was gonna go back home after all this had happened. I removed my heels and was walking home. God, I wish I had a car at the moment. 

It is like my wish was granted because a familiar car pulled up in front of me and the driver came out. This was the last person in the universe that I wanted to see. Miles. Standing there giving me a very sad look. I looked into his eyes trying to find something but I didn't know what. I don't know what hurt me more, him kissing Kathy or him standing right here right now in front of me. I finally gathered the will power and said,

"What do you want? Shouldn't you be at the gala with your girlfriend ?" I stressed on the word girlfriend.

"Y/n, you know that I would never do anything to hurt you. You are the reason I wake up every morning and I feel happy doing it because I get to see you." He said.

"Well, I'm pretty sure you were not thinking of that when you and Kathy were exchanging DNA, were you?"  

"Listen, you have to believe me.-"

"No, this is like what happened with you and Becky that time when I was living with you guys. And don't tell me crap like she was very strong or any of that because you and I know very well that that girl couldn't hurt a fly if she wanted to." I snapped. I was not going to bottle up my emotions any longer. I had to give him my piece of mind. 

"You're right. I'm sorry but you know that I would never do anything to hurt you. Please come home. Even if you don't talk to me ever, I just want to know that you're safe at home and not out here somewhere." 

After careful consideration, I decided to go home with him since it would be pointless to walk around in the night especially when it was raining. The car ride was very silent and uneventful. At home, after I showered, I went to lie down in bed and I felt lonely and cold. Since Miles were not having any form of communication, I slept on my bed alone that night. 

TWO WEEKS LATER AT WORK

"Hey girl, what's up? I've noticed that you don't communicate with Miles any longer. Is everything okay? Are you guys still...? Hailey asked and trailed off since she knew I knew what she was talking about.

"Um, things have been complicated."

"Really? Since when?"

"Since the night at the gala when I saw him kissing Kathy."

"Oh no he didn't. Imma smash his head against the wall."

"Okayyyy.... Change of subject. I don't want to talk about him."

"Oh, sorry."

As Hailey left, Miles passed by her and she gave him a death glare. 

After he turned his gaze to me and gave me a helpless and apologetic look. I would have loved to stare into his eyes forever but I couldn't. I didn't want him to think that I cared about him. I just wanted to figure out myself and what kind of relationship we had now that the cat was out of the bag.