41. Congratulations

Meredith took Bessie's plate and deposited it into the sink.

"Yes, mhm," Derek's voice was coming from the hall where he was talking on the phone with their architect. They decided to put the past behind them and get new house plans that included the ideas of both of them. "That's right."

"Yes, thank you."

"No..." he trailed off pensively. "Not this week, I'm afraid. We have quite a busy schedule..."

"Of course, we can't wait to see them... Yes, that will be great," said Derek enthusiastically. "If the messenger can't find me, they can ask for my wife, Dr. Meredith Shepherd."

Meredith rolled her eyes at the proud note in Derek's voice and kneeled beside Bessie to wipe the remnants of blueberry jam from her mouth. If someone came to Grace asking for a Meredith Shepherd, they would be met with lots of raised eyebrows and even bigger amount of gossip.

"Yes, thank you," smiled Derek to the receiver. "Two days ago, thank you."

Meredith got lost in thought. They had to tell everyone, their friends and coworkers, that they'd got married...

Derek hung up and announced upon entering, "The blueprints are ready. We should get the first look today. Meredith!" he chuckled. "I think you're supposed to remove it, not spread it all around."

"What?" frowned Meredith. She paused her hand with horror noticing that there were now dark blue smudges on Bessie's face from ear to ear. "Oh, I'm so sorry, sweetie!"

She grabbed a fresh wipe and gently cleaned her daughter's face, to the latter's great content. "I don't know what I was thinking about," sighed Meredith.

"I do," said Derek filling his travelling mug with coffee. "You're subtly freaked out about telling everyone we're married."

"How should we do it?" she asked nervously twirling the dirty wipe in her hands.

"Like an injection," he joked leaning back against the counter. "Quickly and painlessly."

"I guess," she sighed stopping in front of him, "and with a lot of people around... to drag Izzie from me!"

He laughed and squinted his eyes at her curiously as she started to tweak his shirt and jacket as well as his hair.

"What?" she shrugged. "That's what wifey wives do, right? Make sure their husbands look presentable."

"I always look presentable," he quipped. "As well as hot, incredible, amazing, sexy and... enormous, to name just the few adjectives you used last night."

Thump! Bessie sent her mug flying to the floor to catch her parents' attention.

"We're going, sweetie," murmured Meredith and lifted her up from her chair. "Or mommy and daddy will get late to work."

"On the beginning of their honeymoon," grumbled Derek.

They dropped Bessie at the daycare center and waited for the elevator to arrive when they were joined by a slightly harassed looking Cristina.

"You've got a perfect occasion," Derek mouthed to Meredith before her person grabbed her arm and pulled her into the lift.

"I was freaking going crazy without you in this madhouse," she blurted out.

"What... what happened?" asked Meredith frowning at Derek.

Cristina threw him a reluctant glance but acquiesced before the fact he was not going to disappear.

"Owen," she spitted out.

"Owen what? Did... did something happen since you two got back together?"