22. Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

Meredith tried to get her breathing under control as Derek's car sped along the dim streets of Seattle. She didn't see his face but the little gestures of his told her he was equally jittery. He tapped his fingers against the steering wheel and racked his hair absentmindedly several times. Even if they didn't talk much, the silence wasn't an awkward one. The time for words would just come later. For now, they enjoyed the simplicity of the moment, their proximity and the way Derek's hand brushed Meredith's thigh every time he reached to change gears.

She didn't need to pose any questions about their destination. She'd known viscerally where he was taking her since he started the engine. Meredith smiled when they slowed down to squeeze into the tail of vehicles queuing to cross the lake.

"I've missed the ferryboats," she whispered letting her head fall back against the headrest.

Derek chuckled ever so slightly, "Good because I still have this thing... for ferryboats."

The rest of the ride passed in a shady blur regularly punctuated by the orange light of streetlamps. Before she even noticed the car pulled up on the gravel driveway.

"I can't believe you've kept it all this time," Meredith breathed out dazedly getting off the car into the chilly air, her eyes roving around the site. There was the same silvery trailer, now a little worn out by weather and the passage of time.

"I've got used to it," Derek shrugged his shoulders. He was comfortable in the trailer and he didn't see the point of searching for an apartment or building a house alone.

"You want to live in a trailer for the rest of your life?"

He looked at her longingly and said, "I hope not."

They went inside and Meredith was momentarily stunned to see how little changed during her absence, as if she had walked out only this morning. It felt a little like a dream to be there again, on his land, in his trailer, the place that was so immensely Derek-like. The overwhelming feeling of familiarity made her whole body tingle pleasantly, and he wasn't even touching her... yet... Shivers ran down her spine making her fidget on the spot.

"Cold?" he asked closing the door behind them.

"Not really." She made to take her coat off.

"Let me help you." He moved behind her and his hands closed over hers on the lapels of her coat. She felt his breath on her neck, followed by his lips. He was making her brain fuzzy and she tried like hell to keep her head clear. The touching and the kissing and whatever that might follow was not the primary purpose she was there; her... their daughter's future was.

"Derek," she murmured. "We... we need to talk."

"We do," he agreed quietly and straightened up slowly to hang their coats on the rack.

"I... I have so much to tell you," breathed out Meredith, twirling her fingers anxiously. "So much... I... I'm not even sure where to start!"

Derek faced her barely containing his own excitement and eagerness to take her into his arms. After all these years she was within the reach of his hand. "Why don't we start with dinner? We'll have the chance to talk peacefully over the meal."

"Oh, ok..." she followed him into the small kitchen. "You... you planned this?" she asked with disbelief.

"Yes," he admitted with a confident smile, taking out various products from the cupboard. "Do you want something to drink? Tea? Coffee? I'd offer something stronger but we have the champagne and better not to mix it-"

"I... water's fine, thanks," she stammered out. "How... how did you know we'd have the chance to open that bottle? The board nearly shut down my trial."