35. Full Circle

"Thank you for letting me stay," said Ned standing against the sink and wiping the dishes Meredith was handing him.

"You're welcome," she replied giving him a quick glance. "But you can always tell me why you prefer my old dusty attic over a classy hotel room we all know you can afford."

"Your Romeo was very anxious to know that too," Ned smirked catching the glare Derek was sending him while passing near the kitchen door. "He asked me a couple of times suggesting I might be more comfortable at Archfield."

"Don't mind him," Meredith rolled her eyes. "He's pissed off I didn't tell him that you're Bessie's godfather. It just... never came up in the conversation."

Ned thought that it probably wasn't the only reason but decided to keep his observations to himself, Dr. Shepherd oozing jealousy was just too much fun.

"So, how's your Grandma?" asked Meredith to change the topic of the conversation.

"She... she died... three weeks ago," confessed Ned uneasily but trying to remain indifferent. "That's... that's why I'm here."

"Oh, my God," breathed out Meredith putting the dirty dishes back to the sink and turning to him. She knew how much it must have affected her friend. He was raised by his grandmother and she was his only living family. "She was in such a good health when she visited you in New York a couple of months ago. What happened?"

"She wasn't in such a good health," he sighed. "She had skin cancer with mets on her liver. She came to Big Apple because she thought she probably wouldn't live to the end of the program."

"But... she looked so good-"

"She quit her treatment," said Ned quietly. "The cancer was too advanced, she preferred to live normal life than die in a hospital room with chemo dripping to her arm... I... I didn't know, I really didn't know," he said desperately as though trying to justify himself. "She told me only when I got back to London... I would have got back sooner if I knew... I would..."

"I know," said soothingly Meredith squeezing his hand. "She did that for you. She kept it to herself for you."

"That doesn't make me feel better," argued Ned. "I was having fun, getting surgery high and she was... slowly dying... alone."

"But she didn't die alone, right?"

"No," he swallowed. "I was there."

"Where do you go from here?" asked Meredith gently.

"I don't know yet," he shrugged regaining his composure. "I might go to LA, I don't know yet... I just... I have no one, no one beside you and Bess."

Meredith gave him a reassuring smile, "You-"

"Meredith," she was cut across by Derek's rough voice. He was standing in the door to the kitchen ready to go, scowling at their clasped hands. "Do you intend to go to work today?"

"I'll be ready in five seconds," Meredith rolled her eyes and seeing Derek leaving the kitchen without another word, she asked Ned, "Do you need anything?"

"I'll be fine," he grinned, "cleaning and baking all day with Bess and your in-law."

"She's not my in-law," frowned Meredith.

"Formally," he shrugged. "Practically, she is." He caught her hand when she was about to leave, "Meredith, are you happy with this guy? Because he looks like a major asshole."

Meredith let out an impatient puff. What was with men today? "He's not an asshole! He has a name, it's Derek. And yes, I'm happy."

"Geez, no need to be defensive! I'm not trying to hover," he raised his hands. "Just, you were freaking out about coming here for a month and now you have a happy family."