23. She's Yours

Meredith ran into a small hospital room breaking down into tears she had been holding back until the moment her eyes settled upon her daughter. Cristina quickly rose from her chair and strode towards her meeting her halfway and putting her hands on Meredith's arms.

"She's asleep now," she hushed. "Don't wake her, she had a rough night."

Meredith broke from her grip and tiptoed to the bed looking with growing pain inside her chest at Bessie's pallid face. She leaned over carefully and caressed the golden lock of her hair scattered on the pillow. One night... one night she wasn't there for her angel and she got sick...

Cristina tugged delicately but firmly at her elbow. "Let's step outside. I'll fill you in."

Meredith shook her head and whispered, "I'm not leaving my baby alone again."

"She's asleep. I can't give you any updates on her condition or we're going to wake her up," whispered Cristina insistently. "Be reasonable, Meredith!"

She gave in to Cristina's logic and with the last concerned look at Bessie's angelic form, followed her onto the mercifully empty corridor.

"What is wrong with her?" she shot as soon as the door closed quietly behind her.

"Like I told you over the phone, Mer," said Cristina with a tired sigh. She didn't sleep a wink all night, worrying both about Meredith and Bess. "Loss of appetite, low fever, vomiting, abdominal pain. We're waiting for the tests results. Bailey's going to bring them as soon as they're up. I called her for Bessie, she'll be discreet."

Meredith rubbed her temples and started pacing up and down, "Oh God. Oh my God... It can be the stomach bug, can't it?"

"Well, the flu's in full swing," admitted Cristina. "But she's received the vaccination. I've suggested to Bailey, and she agreed that we might be on to something... and the family history increases the risk..."

"Cristina! Are you rambling?!" breathed out Meredith. "Just tell me what my daughter's down with!"

"I'm not sure yet," reminded Cristina. "I just... thought it might be appendicitis."

"What?" yelled Meredith. "It's... it's rare among children this young! Like extremely rare and dangerous!"

"Meredith, calm down! We don't know what it is if for now."

"Oh my God," she leaned heavily against the wall. "Me and my crappy DNA! She has Derek's perfect hair and his beautiful eyes. And what did she get from me? Miniature size and inflammation of the appendix!"

Cristina almost laughed despite the gravity of the situation. "Don't forget about the nose, that is something! You wouldn't like her to inherit his hooked snoot, would you?"

"And speaking of Derek," started quietly Cristina, knowingly taking in Meredith's crumpled clothes and yesterday's makeup. "Did you tell him?"

Meredith shifted awkwardly on her feet, staring at the floor and muttered under her breath, "I did..."

"You did?" repeated Cristina, pleasantly surprised. "Then, where is he? You haven't told him she's sick?"

"No, it's... he doesn't know..."

"Why the hell not? He'd want to know she's unwell."

"No," contradicted Meredith. "He doesn't know... anything..."

"What?" gasped Cristina after a moment. "How... Rewind, please! You said you'd told him and he still doesn't know?"

Meredith guilty silence was enough of an answer.