Where We Wanna Be

All summer I was in California with my dad. It was a little weird since I haven't seen him in so long, we mostly stayed out of each others way. I thought we might rekindle our father daughter bond. That didn't happen. I had a great time even though it was a bit awkward. Every day I went to the beach, skated on paths right up against the sand, ate a shit ton of ice cream, and explored everywhere I could walk to. All the places I went I loved. If it wasn't for El I'd run away from Hawkins to go to California. I love the party, but I could live without them. El though? I need her.

The first thing I do after I get home is drop my bags off in my room is bike over to the El's cabin. When I get there I feel a little nervous in my stomach, I haven't seen El face to face since the week after school ended. Sure, we talked on the phone a lot, but I haven't felt her touch all summer. God I miss her. When I get off my bike I hear the front door open and then slam, I look up, already knowing who it is. El. She runs over to me and yanks me into a hug, burying her face in my shoulder. I wrap my arms around her for a few seconds and then grab her hand, dragging her to her room. Once inside it I quickly close the door and take her other hand, leaning in for a kiss. I see El smile right before our lips meet. 

Later we're lying on El's bed in the dark, staring up at the ceiling with our hands intertwined. I hear El whisper, "Max?" 

I turn me head towards her, "Yeah babe?" 

She moves over to her side so she's facing me, I do the same. "When we're older will you stay with me every night?" 

I give her a little nod, "Of course." 

El bites her lip, "What about dad?" 

I chuckle a little, "When you're older you don't have to live with him...we could get our own place." 

El raises her eyebrows suspiciously, "But where?" 

I look at El and smile, "Wherever you want." 

El shakes her head, "I don't know anywhere. Where do YOU want  to be?" 

I take a deep breath, "It's far away...like REALLY far away. Here you have your dad and the party...I, I just can't take you away from that..." 

El looks at me seriously, "Where?" 

I look into El's eyes, "In California." 

El puts her hand to my face, "Can't wait."

Time skip

I smirk as I watch El struggle to lift a box. "You still want to move it yourself?" I tease. 

El shoots me a glare and then sighs, defeated, "No." 

I put my hand to my heart, "Well, I'd be honored to help you." I walk over and lift up the box with ease. As I walk up the stairs I hear El breathing heavily. I turn around, El's using her powers to move 4 boxes at once. I roll my eyes, "SHOWOFF!"  She smiles a little bit, not paying too much attention to me so she doesn't drop the boxes. God El's so cute when she's concentrating. 

The boxes stop when they reach the hallway at the top of the stairs, El giving them a final push towards our bedroom. She walks up the stairs and notices me watching her. El raises her eyebrows questioningly, "What?" 

I take her hands, "You're making me happy." 

El gives me a look and pulls me closer, "I can make you happier." 

Leaning in for a kiss I smirk, "Let's test that theory."

...

A/N: And then they hugged and ordered gyros from Max's favorite takeout place. Yup. That's all. Bye now.