Gardenias

A/N: This is a request for a royal AU.

"Maxine will you come here please?" a voice yells from another room. 

I smile, I've been going back and forth to get water to fill the bathtub so a break is more than welcome. 

I hurry into the other room, Jane is sitting facing her vanity. She makes eye contact with me in the mirror, looking me up and down. "Your clothes are wet," she says.

Looking down at them I sigh, "Fantastic." 

She laughs, "Thank you for filling my bath. I have a sort of silly thing to ask you, do you think you could put flowers in it? You know I'm supposed to meet the prince tonight so I could use something to do take my mind off it."

Dread invades my heart when I think of him. They're supposed to be married, they have been since birth, but it's all getting too real. I guess I haven't gotten used to the fact that she'll be leaving me, I mean us, the kingdom.

"Maxine?" she prompts, seemingly amused at my dazed state.

"Yes, sorry. I can do flowers, is there any specific kind you'd like?" I say, semi-flustered.

"Roses please." she says, with a childlike glint in her eyes.

I nod and go to find the flowers, I figure we'll have some in the gardens so I head there to look. Thankfully we do so I put them in a basket and hurry back to the princess's chambers.

She's wrapped in a robe waiting on a seat in the bathroom. As I place the petals on the surface of the water I feel her eyes on my back. Then she kneels down next to me, using my shoulder to help lower herself down. 

"I didn't mean to turn you into a railing there, I hope you don't mind," she says softly as she starts placing the flowers in the tub herself.

I gently stop her hand as she reaches into the basket for a second time, "You don't have to do that you know. It's what I'm here for."

Her smile falters, "I didn't mean to get in the way, I'll just move-"

"No no I didn't mean it like that. It's nice, I mean you're not making it more difficult, you know?" I say, cringing at my words.

Jane sits back down, slightly closer than before, and takes another petal out of the basket. The afternoon light shining through the window onto her face entrances me. I can't bring my eyes away from hers. The princess puts the flower petal back into the basket and places her hand on mine. I freeze, not processing what's happening. But right before what I've dreamed of doing all the time I've know becomes true I tear myself away, not willing to damn us both. "I should get more flowers," I say shakily. 

Jane nods slowly, then seems to realize the gravity of the situation and stands up, brushing her hands on her gown, "Yes...yes, perhaps you could get some gardenias?"

I swallow nervously, "Right away."

Walking away from the Jane's chambers recount what just happened, I almost kissed her. Her! The princess! I've been in love with her for years, but I never expected her to feel the same way. My mind rushes with the possibilities of us having a life together but I'm interrupted by another servant, my friend Robin grabs my arm, "Maxine, come help with preparations for the wedding."

I hold up the flower basket, "I can't, I'm attending to the princess."

"She doesn't need flowers, now come," she says annoyed.

"I can't just not go back to her, she'll think I skipped out," I say.

Robin rolls her eyes, "Oh stop acting like you're the one that's going to marry her. In a few days time she won't ever see your face again."

I take a deep breath in, trying to stop the tears that are welling up. Perhaps it would be best if I didn't go back, it might even make things easier. I feign a smile,"Ok, what do we have to do?" 

Robin sighs and gives me a side hug, "Help tidy up where that prince will lay his eyes." She understands what I'm going through since she knows how I feel about Jane but is reluctant to embrace my crush because of the marriage. 

We spend a long while cleaning mindlessly, taking short breaks for a noon-meal and supper. Before we know it a procession of carriages pulls in front of the palace and we're summoned to the kitchen to help prepare a feast. 

I'm assigned to cut onions, and for once am thankful for this task because it gives me an excuse to shed some tears. As I'm chopping a head pokes into the kitchen, "Maxine, the princess calls for you." 

I take my apron off and rinse my hands and face with some water before I hurry to her chambers. My heart beats fast in anticipation of her anger for leaving earlier. When I knock on her door it swings open immediately, and Jane pulls me in before she promptly shuts it, "Jane what are you-"

She interrupts me by cupping my face in her hands and pressing her lips against mine, our secret love erupting from somewhere deep within us. I embrace the kiss, not willing to ruin this perfect moment if it only lasts for a second. After a moment we slowly draw back, our expressions gleeful. Jane then looks concerned as she scans my face, "Have you been crying? Is something wrong?"

I laugh, "No, no, everything is perfect...I was just cutting onions, nothing to worry about."

Jane smiles sadly, "Yes..nothing."

"Well, except your marriage to the prince of all princes," I say sarcastically. 

A snort escapes Jane's throat, "Oh there's no one on this earth that could compel me to marry him, his face reminds me of a chickens!"

I gasp, "Jane! He seems...polite."

She raises her eyebrows, "Maxine. I'm not marrying him, I sent the word to my father that I'd rather be strung up naked than wed him."

"No you didn't..." I say, Jane looks at me cunningly, "Oh my god Jane you did."

A more serious expression crosses her face, "Maxine I don't want this life. I don't want to be someone's wife, someone's prop."

"Not even mine?" I ask her.

"I mean to a man...I'd marry you in a heartbeat," she says rolling her eyes.

I take her hands in mine, "So do it, marry me Jane."

"Are you being serious?"

I nod, "Completely."

She smiles, "Then I'll marry you."

All of a sudden there's a knock on the door, an angry male voice interrupts us, "JANE?"

Panic flashes over her eyes, "My father," she whispers.

I bring my finger up to my lips and use my other hand to point to her balcony. We climb over the sides of the balcony just as the door slams open, "JANE!" the king's voice bellows.

I quickly make my way down the wall, using the gaps in the stone as grips. Jane's progress is painfully slow since she's wearing a puffy dress. After I get to the bottom I look back up to Jane, "You have to jump! I'll catch you."

"Promise me?" she says, still facing the wall.

"Yes, I promise, I'll always catch you."

After a moment I hear her take a deep breath in before she lets go and falls back. I catch her in my arms but gravity pulls us down the slight incline of the hill under her balcony. Once we stop tumbling I help her up and smile, "Well that wasn't too graceful. Neither of us are injured though so let's move on! Where to princess?"

Jane looks at me and shakes her head, "You're crazy. Let's go to the stables," she says as she begins walking in their direction.

We walk fast to the stables and quickly switch into riding clothes so we look less suspicious. Then we find Jane's horse and mount it, my arms around her waist since she's more experienced with horses. Jane expertly guides us onto a side trail into the woods. Us leaving the grounds with the horse, and the clothes on our backs.

As the sun begins to set we find ourselves far away from our problems, resting in each others arms by a creek-side. We don't know where we'll go but we know our love for each other will keep us side by side for eternity.