Me & Her

A/N: Pretend this was released in 1988 instead of 2018. Here are the lyrics in case you can't listen: https://genius.com/Heavens-to-betsy-me-and-her-lyrics

I sigh, pushing my physics homework aside and grabbing my walkman. Putting on my headphones I crank up the volume. 

It's been about three years since the Byers left. And they rarely visit. But when they do guess who my favorite person in the world is with? Mike. 

I don't want to be a jealous asshole but it makes me want to scream seeing her in his arms. How can she not see that I love her? She's an idiot. Her obliviousness towards my feelings for her is literally going to drive me to insanity. 

"MAX, THERE'S A BOY AT THE DOOR FOR YOU," my mother yells.

I make a face. What boy would be coming to see me? Ever since El and Will left the party fell apart, we only really come back together when they're in town. I take off my headphones and lumber out of my room. 

When I see who's at the door I only grow more confused.

"Hi Max," Mike says quietly.

"Why are you here?"

He hesitates, his expression contorting into a strange picture of misery. 

I speak again, "Did something happen?"

All he does is look at me.

"Did something happen Mike? Did something happen to her?"

He remains silent.

I grab his jacket and push him. He trips and falls onto the concrete, skinning his knee. He looks up at me with tears beginning to stream down his face, "She's gone, Max. She's FUCKING GONE! After everything she's been through-"

I feel my heart dropping, my sight blurring, and the sound of the world becoming muffled. I stumble, failing to grab onto something I feel everything go dark.

I feel myself waking up, the light creeping into my eyes as a worried Mike leans over me. 

"Max are you awake?" he says, his voice filled with anxiety.

I squeeze my eyes closed as if I that could block out all the pain in the world. I only jolt up when Mike shakes my arm a little, pulling my knees against my chest I lean against the inside of the door frame. Mike sits across from me.

"What happened?"

He takes a deep breath, seemingly on the verge of tears again. "She was in the car with a few of her friends," he finally says, "You know she finally found some people that don't act like she's some freak?"

I feel a stab in my heart, she didn't tell me she made friends.

"Tell me what happened, Mike."

He nods, "They were driving down the highway, and another car- another car hit them."

Anger explodes in every corner of my body, my head becoming a fiery mess of hatred.

He continues, "The man who hit them was drunk, the Byers and the other families are pressing charges." After he finishes Mike watches my cold expression with confusion, "Are you going to say something? You look like you're not feeling anything."

I stand up and turn to walk away. But I swivel back towards him, "Are you fucking kidding me? That's the worst thing you could've said. I LOVED HER MIKE! You can't even begin to understand how deeply I felt for her- how this is going to affect me. You know I was just starting to feel better about Billy! But this- this is going to ruin me forever. I wouldn't be able to heal from this if I was immortal."

"What do you mean you felt deeply for her?"

I shake my head, "Are you clueless- wait I already know the answer to that. Of fucking course you are! I loved her Mike! But all she wanted was you. And I hated that, I hated her for that. But I wanted her to be happy. But now she's completely gone from my life! I was going to spend the rest of my life loving her and now there's no chance that we could happen. Understand?"

"I didn't know-"

I go to shut the door, "Cut the crap and leave."

He seems to be searching his mind for words but comes up with nothing before getting up and walking away, looking at me over his shoulder with a horrible pity on his face.

I scoff and slam the door, sinking down to the floor as soon as it shuts. 

How do I go on?

I don't think I can.