Tethered

Chapter one

Monsters are real. Everyone knows that, it's just a fact of life. I heard that a long time ago monsters were thought to be just made up creatures. I can't imagine who wouldn't believe their child when they came to them about a monster being in their closet. That was a long time ago though, now monsters are (excuse the pun) out of the closet. Though we do coexist, I try to keep my hands monster free.

Most monsters aren't that bad but there are a larger number of bad ones than there are good. It's just a natural thing, for them to be dominate and demanding which is why I steer clear as much as I can. Granted, I'm not afraid...that much, it's not like they look that different...well most of them don't. I remember watching a movie from the pre-monster era and let me tell you, those monsters were the most hideous things I've ever encountered.

The real monsters very in looks, some are human like but may have an unnatural skin tone, for example blue, or odd color eyes, maybe even just sharpened teeth which would be a dead give away that they're not of human variety. Some are actual creatures, though personally, I think they look gross and deformed but I'm biased. My parents disapprove of monsters and I was raised to think like that also but I'm not totally prejudice like them, I've socialized with some before. It was a strained conversation to say the least but I did it and I'm totally not prejudice.

"We've lost yet another innocent to the hands of the beasts" my close guy friend, Fevah, whispers.

He was attempting to be funny but I didn't find it funny at all. I huffed and looked to where he was gesturing with his eyes. I knew what he was talking about, I just wasn't sure who. My eyes scanned along the tables of the mall's food court we were currently hanging out at. They came to rest on Juney Mayer and what seemed to be her new boyfriend, though that's not what he really was. He was her, what the monsters called, 'tether'.

It's just another word for soul mate, loved one, significant other or something like that. I had looked up the word once online and it said that tether means something along the lines of a restraint. Which I kind of get, because they are monsters after all so they do need some type of restraint which just so happens to be their, whatever you want to call them, I've always stuck with significant other.

It sounds impersonal that way, which is how I feel about the whole thing. I mean most of these so called 'tethers' don't even get a say in it. If you're a human and happen to come upon a monster and the monster feels this creepy connection type thing that is supposedly the sign that you're their tether, three of the following things happen.

One, the monster will claim you. Which I hear is kind of painful and totally animalistic if you ask me. Half the time it's a bite on the neck or shoulder and the bite releases some type of venom into the bloodstream, but it isn't poisonous, it just gives off a type of signal to other monsters that their so called 'loved one' is claimed. The other half doesn't happen often but I've heard stories. If your monster is, well, a mean one he will bite you all over; making the bite marks visible and the toxin that the bites give off will be highly stronger. Which warns all other monsters to stay away from their tether.

Two, the monster will want to be with you. Now I know that doesn't seem like a big deal but it is. Like I said before, monsters are highly dominate beings and when they find their tether they get extremely possessive. I used to be friends with this girl, Becka, but once she was tethered her monster wouldn't let her hang out with anyone anymore. Totally sucks if you ask me, being told what to do is so not appealing.

Three, the monster will change you. I've noticed this one has happened almost every time. The more time the tether spends with their monster the more they change. For example, Becka, before she was tethered she was on the loud and obnoxious side but once it happened everyone noticed how she slowly became more quiet and reserved. Creepy, right? It gives me the creeps just thinking about what her monster did to make her start behaving that way. I would never change for anyone, especially not some possessive monster.

"Oh shit, they're coming this way!" Fevah yelled in a whisper, clutching on to my arm.

I watched in sheer panic as Juney and her orange skinned boyfriend walked directly towards us. I grasped on to Fevah's hand for his benefit, if this monster thought we were together he wouldn't feel threatened. He gave my hand a grateful squeeze as the couple paused in front of us. I avoided eye contact with the orange guy but out the corner of my eye I could see him eyeing my hand entwined with Fevah's, it seemed to relax him a bit as the tension that I hadn't realized was there eased off. I smiled at Juney as she greeted us.

"Hey, Blaire...and Fevah!" she greeted, eyeing our clasped hands also.

I hoped she didn't say anything about it or else her monster would get all dominate or something like that and probably beat Fevah up, since Fevah could never keep his trap shut and usually he only talked shit which got him into a lot of fights. He's such an idiot sometimes.

"Hey, Juney...how's it going?" Fevah asked, but only to get rid of the awkward silence that was going on.

Juney had still been staring at our linked hands until Fevah spoke up. She immediately broke into a grin. Juney has always been a bubbly little thing, always cheerful and never caught without a smile plastered on her face. It was kind of annoying; around the clock cheeriness would make me want to kill someone. Yes, I'm a bit of a negative Nelly, so to speak.

"Great! So, this is my boyfriend Horal...Horal this is Blaire and Fevah" she introduced.

I sent Horal a smile, even though what I really wanted to do was high tail it out of there, and he returned it by showing off his very pointed teeth which I assume was suppose to be a friendly gesture. It was anything but, I fought the urge to flinch away. I did however press myself against Fevah's side in search of comfort; he gave my hand another squeeze. Horal's red tinted eyes caught the motion and maybe assumed I was just being affectionate towards my boyfriend so his gaze moved away respectfully...I guess. Aside from his skin color, pointed teeth, and red tinted eyes, he looked somewhat human. He at least had hair, which was short and black.

"Uhh, hi" Fevah offered, his hand gripping mine even tighter.

Horal gave a curt nod, but other than that stayed silent. Juney clung onto his arm as she chatted with us about what colleges we were planning on heading to and blah, blah, blah. The whole time I wondered how she could just accept it. Being tethered, I mean. If I was her I would just die. I would never want to be tethered to some creature without a choice. I want to fall in love on my own, not be told I'm destined to be with a creature of the night.

Once they had gone I released Fevah's hand but stayed pressed against his side. I laid my head on his shoulder and sighed.

"That was fucking scary" he breathed, sounding like he just merely escaped death.

"Yeah, I don't get how they just accept it" I whispered, as I looked off in a daze.

I knew he knew what I meant, but didn't say anything for a while.

"Me neither, Blaire, me neither" is all he said.