Chapter 10

At Cheer Practice

"Mills warm the girls up" Coach said. "L/n come with me for a minute". She led me away from the girls and I was very confused as to why she was taking me from the group.

"So l/n there's two things I want to talk to you about. First, I know it's not my place to tell you what to do with your relationship, but if you choose to have intimate moments with your boyfriend maybe you shouldn't do it at school, or you could do it in the janitors closet like everyone else."

I just stared at her, not knowing what to say. "Um so you saw that. I uh don't—I—we didn't. It just sorta looked like we did, but we didn't." I clarified

"Let's just move on from that topic. The second thing I wanted to talk to you about was since you have to take it easy for the next couple of weeks you can be assistant coach. Today we have to assign places for jumps, start choreographing the dance, and pick the best people to do tumbling passes. Think you can help with that?"

"Yes! Of course I can. Do they have to try out for spots or are we just assigning them?"

"Just assigning them is what I normally do but if you want to do tryouts for spots you can."

"No it's fine, we'll do it your way."

"Ok sounds good. You and Ali split center for jumps and the dance. You also have the last tumbling pass, we can figure out what you're gonna do when you get the okay from the doctor to cheer again."

"Ok thanks coach" I told her. We walked back to the group of girls.

"Ali can you come here please" I yelled

"Yeah" she jogs towards "what's up"

"Coach said we're assigning places for jumps, to start the choreo for the dance, and picking tumblers"

"Ok good. How do you wanna do jump lines?"

"Well me and you split the middle, so we could do a V formation or we could do two long rows. It's up to you"

"We can do the V"

"Alright. Wanna call them over?"

"Yeah sure" she said. "Alright girls get over here, we're getting started!" She yelled

"Ok, so we have a lot to do today. The first thing we're doing is jump lines. We're not gonna make you try out for your spot we're just gonna place you" I told them

Ali went through each girl telling them their spots. Once all the spots were picked Susan and Barbara were off the shoulder of me and Ali and the rest of the girls were in windows. When they practiced the jump sequence I went over near the coach.

"Coach do you see Barbara's jumps?"

"I do. You want to switch her spot don't you?"

"Her jumps just aren't high enough for the front row and she doesn't have her standing back handspring, like the rest of us in the front."

"Well you're assistant coach and co-captain, change it" she told me. I nodded and then walked towards the girls.

"Alright stop please." I shouted. "This isn't working. I have to fix something. Sorry" I told the squad. "Raise your hand if you have a standing back handspring" I said. Eight girls raised their hands. "Ok and keep your hand up if you can do a toe touch to a back handspring or better?" Now there were only four girls with their hand raised. "Right. Ok how about we do this. Nicolette and Barbara switch place"

"What?" Barbara asked, looking shocked. "You want me to go to the back?"

"She was in the middle row that's not the back"