Under another wing

A couple weeks later I walked into the building of my work study. I wasn't excited, why was everyone I had to work with somehow related to All Might?

"Sir has another side to the media doesn't see," Mirio said. "All you have to do in order to get him to accept you, is to make him laugh!"

"Is this a joke?" I asked.

He laughed. "Nope! You've got this."

"I'm not a fun laid-back person like you, I have stuff to do and I'm going to get it done. I don't usually become much of a jokester unless I know someone well."

"Still doesn't mean you can't make him laugh, it's easy."

"For a fun laid-back person it is, I've got to be honest with you, my humor is pretty dark. I doubt I'd get accepted using that."

"Oh... hmm, I didn't take you for the type to be into dark humor... Sir doesn't like that type, he says it immediately screams villain to him. Frankly, I don't like it either, it's disturbing."

"I mean, that's kinda the point."

Mirio laughed again. "I guess so!" He looked at the clock, we should get going. I think he's ready!"

We walked into Sir Nighteye's office, he sat at his desk, looking through papers. When he saw me, he stood up, walked over and held out his hand for me to shake.

"You're Midoriya, correct? I'm Sir Nighteye."

I grabbed his hand weakly, and refused to look into his eyes. I wasn't thrilled by having to work with All Might's former partner. I could bare Gran Torino, but this was pushing it.

"Yeah, I am. Pleasure..," I muttered.

"You don't have a very strong handshake, if you're the shy-type I suggest you leave now. It's not good to have shy heros."

"Oh, Sir, it's ok! He's probably just embarrassed, after all, you were the number one hero's sidekick!" Mirio tried to justify

"Hm, fair. Is he funny at all?"

"I'm sure he can be!"

"No, I'm not funny, especially not to you. Our senses of humor are probably very different," I said, letting go of his hand.

Nighteye looked at me with both concern and frustration. Bubble Girl was waiting by the door.

"Sir, should I escort him out?" she asked.

"No, but could you and Lemillion leave the room?" Nighteye asked firmly. "After all, we have one more reliability, his strength and speed."

"I was doomed from the start," I muttered under my breath.

Bubble Girl nodded and waved to Mirio to leave the room. He looked at me worried then left.

Nighteye's quirk is Foresight, he can see anyone's future. If he looks too far into mine, I'd be kicked out and warned about. People will be told to "Keep a close eye one me." And even if he doesn't, he can predict my movements, so whatever challenge he pins against me, I'm doomed to fail!

"All you have to do, Midoriya, is take this stamp from my hand, and stamp the acceptance letter yourself," Nighteye explained, holding up a stamp in his hand. "You don't need to worry about me, or the room. I'll fix it up later, it'll be fine."

"If you insist," I muttered.

"Quit mumbling, if you're going to be a hero, you need to speak like one."

"Right!" I shouted, feigning respect.

"Good, now, come get the stamp."

I started up One For All, I was tempted to use Hypnotic Gas but that was too much of a risky move. He knew I had One For All, and he assumed I was quirkless before then. So I'd blow my cover. I readied my position, and darted for the stamp. Nighteye dodged, mocking me as he did.

I looked at him, I knew there was a way to tell if he was looking at your future, something in his eye... although that something wasn't appearing. Was he not able to look into my future?

"Hurry up, Midoriya, the clock is t-," he started. He rushed myself off the wall, and snatched the stamp. He looked at me stunned.

"You realized that I couldn't see your future?" He asked.

"I knew there was a way to tell, it was in your eyes somewhere but I couldn't see it, if I did I'd be able to recognize it instantly," I explained. "I don't know why you didn't use it though, we would've been here for much longer."

"You prevented me from doing it. You refused to look into my eyes, if I did you'd still be jumping around the place."

"Cool, so I gave myself an advantage on accident." I chuckled and went over to the paper to stamp it. I hesitated for a second. I really didn't want to do this but at this point I didn't have a choice. But I inevitably stamped it, as much as it hurt. I hated working with people, to make things worse, everyone I worked with was somehow connected to All Might.

***

The next day, Sir Nighteye called us in.

"We're going to be patrolling."

"Oh, ok, so are we patrolling for a specific person?" I asked.

He held up a picture of a man in a bird beak mask, like a steampunk plague doctor. "Yes, we are. This man's name is Overhaul, he's suspected of multiple crime. But we're also patrolling for any crime or villains. Even if he's our main target, we still have to be on the lookout for any crime."

"Got it!" Mirio and Bubble Girl said. I just nodded. Overhaul... I recognize that name.