Chapter:15

Annie should've taken Mikasa up on her offer because choosing to walk home was not the smartest decision. Night had fallen and there was a gentle breeze that caused her to shiver. She did consider calling Ymir to pick her up but decided not to bug her. This was Annie's personal issue to deal with, nobody else's. If she did tell Ymir about the argument she just had, Annie wasn't so sure if Ymir would be on her side. She would admit that Mikasa wasn't fully in the wrong here; Annie knew that it was selfish to continue playing, especially since their baby's safety was at major risk. At this point, however, everything was an issue, so it wasn't like she had many choices available to her. The way Mikasa worded it didn't even offer a full conversation about the issue. She just shut everything down and threatened Annie with telling her coach everything. Annie already had a million people telling her what to do. She didn't need Mikasa joining in, especially since she thought that Mikasa was the only one who truly understood her.

She stopped walking and let out an annoyed groan. It was finally hitting her that Mikasa understood her TOO well. Mikasa knew that she was going through so much and that she was too stubborn to see the dangers of her actions. She sighed and looked up into the night sky. 'I'm a bitch... I shouldn't have slapped her... She was just trying to be the rational one between us... I need to stop getting angry and actually talk everything out...' Annie felt terrible for what she had done. Mikasa had given all her support while Annie was blowing a gasket over the slightest inconvenience. However, she wasn't going to let Mikasa play the victim card. The Alpha should've worded what she wanted to say correctly and talk it out with Annie like how they did with their first discussion about the baby. Annie would call her when she got home and apologize for slapping her, but she would also give Mikasa a tongue lashing for talking to her in such a controlling way.

Despite having that small argument with Mikasa, Annie was still going to play in Thursday's game. Afterward, she would personally tell her coach and sit out the rest of her games. She might have Mikasa threatening her, but it didn't matter since she already had Hitch on her ass; having another person holding the secret over her head was no big deal. Mikasa was probably under the impression that Annie would listen to her. She wasn't going to. Annie was determined to play in this game, give it her all, then announce that she was done for the season. Then, she would discuss the pregnancy in private with her coach so that it wouldn't get out to the university scouts. Once all of that was dealt with, she'd start speaking with different schools to see what everyone had to offer. 'Everything is going to be fine. Everything will work out. Just one more game... Just one more game.' Annie tried to reaffirm her decision but couldn't shake the feelings of doubt.

"It doesn't matter... I'm going to do this, no matter what." She assured herself out loud and began walking yet again, putting a little speed into each step so that she could get home already.

Once Annie got home, she was confused to see her father's car in the driveway. He hadn't said anything about coming home early, so Annie was pleasantly surprised. A happy smile made its way to her face as she entered the house. However, within seconds of entering, she saw a bunch of opened mail on the kitchen table, including a letter from the clinic she had gone to for the abortion appointment. It was the letter that explained that she was not charged for the procedure because her insurance covered it all. It also had some extra papers that gave advice for a healthy pregnancy. She felt her blood run cold, knowing she fucked up for not keeping track of the mail. At that moment, time slowed down around her. Her heart began to beat rapidly, the sound filling her ears as time finally resumed normally. Annie's fight or flight mode kicked in as she ran up the stairs to her room and locked her door immediately. While in her haste to lock the door, Annie had yet to see her room's borderline destroyed state.

'He knows... Oh my fucking God, he knows...'

Her heart sank at the sight of all her things thrown around the room. Annie's dresser was on the floor, completely ransacked. Picture frames containing memories were now just a pile of broken glass on the floor. Even the ones of her and her father were among the shards. Seeing them made her heart sink even further; at this point, it was on the brink of breaking. Tears began to well up at the corner of her eyes as she tried to save some photos, attempting to brush off as much broken glass that she could. It was cut short by the sudden loud footsteps coming towards her room, followed by her doorknob wiggling. When her door had failed to open, that's when the yelling began.