Chapter: 10

Annie kept true to her word and sat between Ymir and Bertholdt. It wasn't as bad as Ymir made it out to be; then again, Bertholdt always froze up around her anyway. Annie wasn't completely unaware of Bert's underlying feelings for her, despite their break up a year ago. She knew he still harbored feelings for her, but she ignored them so that Bert would get the message and move on. It somewhat worked. Annie was just glad he wasn't following her around like a lost puppy and asking if he could walk her to class. She was more than happy to deal with Bert's awkward stuttering and blushing if it meant he didn't bug her as much anymore.

"I have to say, Annie, watching your games are soooooo much better than sitting through Reiner's. I'm gonna get some food from the snack bar. You guys want anything?"

Ymir got up from her seat and stretched out her limbs. Annie would have to agree with Ymir; football was an absolute pain to watch, but she wanted to support Reiner. Also, she owed it to him since he always came to her games without complaint. However, since she made the effort to show up, Annie decided to make the most out of the game and get something to eat.

"I want two hot dogs, a slice of pizza, and a bag of Doritos. Oh, also, don't forget my Coke."

"Jesus, Annie. Why don't you just tell me to get the whole fucking snack shack for you? Whatever. Berturtle, what the hell do you want?"

Annie bit her lip to stop a smile from forming as she heard Ymir use the nickname they used to tease Bertholdt with. She hadn't heard it in years; the last time she remembers it being used was during their middle school years. The Omega slightly turned her head to glance at Bert, waiting for a reaction, but all he did was blush.

"Just a Coke.... also, don't call me that, Ymir."

He tried to fight the blush away and crossed his arms, trying to come off as angry and intimidating. Unfortunately, it backfired because Ymir and Annie burst into laughter at the sight of him. Bertholdt felt himself only grow more embarrassed with each passing second and decided to look away. He had embarrassed himself too many times already; if he wanted to escape with any pride he had left, Bert needed to stop immediately.

"Oh, man, that was great, Bertholdt. I'll make sure to call you that more often! Damn, that gave me a good laugh!"

Ymir held her side from laughter before returning her attention to the task at hand.

"Okay, two cokes, two hot dogs, a slice of pizza, and a bag of Doritos. I'll be back. Annie, you don't have to pay me back. Y'know what, Bert? You don't need to either. Embarrassing you was enough payment already."

She departed from them with another chuckle and a silence had fallen on them. It wasn't awkward or anything, it never was. She and Bert weren't the talkative type, so having silence between them was a better option than awkwardly talking to each other. Annie kept her attention on the football game in front of her, watching Mikasa in particular. The girl was flawless on the field, running at fast speeds and even tackling with such a strong force. Annie was surprised that she could do so much damage, especially since Mikasa was probably the smallest Alpha there. One could say that she was "the ideal alpha," but Annie thought that that sounded cheesy. However, Annie wouldn't deny that Mikasa was amazing at her sport.

A soft sigh broke the silence and Annie immediately turned her attention to Bertholdt. He immediately flinched upon realizing that Annie was looking at him. Bert gulped and gave an awkward smile.

"What's with the sigh?"

The awkward smile dropped and Bert looked down his feet, obviously embarrassed that he had been caught.

"I just... Ymir's been teasing me a lot and it's getting annoying. It doesn't help that Reiner also joins in sometimes. I'm starting to feel more like their punching bag than their friend."