Chapter 2

Words: 1106
Edited: December 25th, 2022

•──────⋅☾ ☼ ☽⋅──────• 

Y/n's POV
We were back at the shop and I texted my brother to tell our aunts that I'll be late today again.

"The job is for you to deliver a client's board to this location. The delivery time is midnight the day after tomorrow." Oka said and handed Langa a paper, "I can't deliver it during the day?"

"The gates don't open until late at night," Reki said and petted Oka's pet, Sketchy who I held in my arms. "Gates?" Langa asked.

"Have you heard about a skateboarding race?" Oka asked and I put Sketchy down on the table.

"It takes place in an abandoned mine... Only chosen ones get to take part in this special race. The race is called 'S.'" I told him and he looked at us with his mouth formed like an "O".

"Normally I'd go, but things aren't working out for that night," Oka said, Reki and I looked at each other and then at him

"A woman!" Reki commented; I nodded in agreement "It isn't!" Oka complained, "It's the childcare worker from the other day!" I continued and Oka looked away, "It isn't! It's about the debt!"

"Debt?" Reki asked

"About money I owe. This shop... is about to go under,"  Oka said and winked at me to play along. I smirked "Ah, right, I remember you told us something like that..." I said and Reki looked between us in a bit of panic.

"Huh?! I didn't hear about..." Oka and I made funny faces and fist-bumped while laughing when Reki realized that it was a lie and he yelled at us, "Lies like that are the worst! And you're the manager! And you! You're supposed to be my—" he hesitated and stops "Hm? What was that?" I asked with a smug face.

"You're... You're supposed to be my friend. Supposed to be on my side," Reki whispered with a pout. Oka and I smirked and I hugged Reki around his shoulders.

"Oh? Are the Reki Kyan going soft on me?" I teased and he shoved my arm away from him, "Am not!" I smiled gleefully "You so are,"

"Alright, you two... Reki, you should listen to what I have to say a bit more! And Y/n, as much as I enjoy when you tease him, you have a job to do," Oka said and Langa yelled, "Ouch!" When he got bitten by Sketchy.

Reki picked them up, "I mean, Manager Oka, you're always coming in later than I do— Ouch!" He also got bitten and Sketchy, who walked over to me and Oka, "There, there," Oka said as it snuggled closer to him as I petted it.

☾ Next day ☽

Reki's POV
Langa, Y/n, and I woke up early the next day to take the train. I was about to fall asleep plenty of times just like Langa and Y/n, but I held myself up. I suddenly felt pressure on my shoulder and looked to my side to see Y/n.

I smiled and was about to hold an arm around her when I realized that we were on the train and we were... just friends. So I only shook her shoulder when I noticed we were at our stop.

"Y/n... wake up," I said and she opened her tired but still beautiful e/c eyes. She rubbed them and looked around to realize she was still leaning against my shoulder. She quickly sat up properly.

"Sorry," she said tiredly and I shook my head, "This is our stop, idiot. Wake Langa," I said and glanced at her as she woke the transfer student up. He opened his eyes and she smiled at him, giggling at his bedhead.

'She likes him...of course, she does,' I thought as I stood up 'This is stupid,' I thought as we walked off the train and I could feel my heart race a little faster.

☾ ☼ ☽

"Stickers?" Langa asked

Y/n nodded, "Yeah. First-timers can't get in without it. "S" is a top-secret race that you can't ever talk about," she said and yawned.

We then looked over to see a man in a white hoodie walking toward us. I held out my hand and he quickly and smoothly handed me the sticker in the process of walking past us.

We stood up and walked back. I handed it to Langa. "This is yours. Normally, outsiders aren't allowed to come in" Langa hummed at my words and I looked at him.

"You should be more stoked than that! You'll be able to see something amazing, okay? I'm sure you'll be surprised! Got that? C'mon!" I said as he just walked faster and faster with me and Y/n walking after him. My lips turned into a small smile when I heard a small giggle from Y/n. I glanced at her and we locked eyes, but we quickly looked away from each other.

☾ At school, lunch ☽

"And those that are the entering that duels always have to put something on the line. Money, an apology... women..." I said when I saw two girls run past us. I looked back to Langa and Y/n to just get hit in the head "Ouch! What was that for?" I asked and Y/n gave me one of her glares, "What did you say about us? You would put us on the line, huh?" She asked with an angry look.

"No-- Nothing! Nothing!" I whined and she goes back to eat her bento "Thought so"
It was a quiet moment before I noticed Langa was just staring at Y/n's food, "So, this is a Japanese bento." He said and she looked at us.

"What?" She asked with her mouth filled with food, making her cheeks look squishy 'Cute...' I thought and shook my head and looked at Langa.

☾ At the shop ☽

The three of us walked through the back of the DOPE SKETCH. Sketchy was in Y/n's arms.
"I make my own!"

"Make what?" Langa asked and I smiled, "My board, of course!" I said and set the skateboard decks on the table "You make your own?" Langa asked

"Yeah. I'm still in trial and error, though. If I make the best board out there and do the best skating I can ever do, isn't that rad?" I asked and he stared at me. Like he was in thought or something.

I glanced at Y/n, she was playing with the animal. She giggled as it snuggled closer and bumped its head against her chin. I smiled at the sight of it, but my smile faded a bit when I saw Langa was looking at her the same way as me... I shook my head and looked at the decks.

'Focus,'