J-Hope pt. 2

Perhaps foolishly, you chose not to pry.

"Is there anything I can do?" you ask softly. Reaching out, you take ahold of his hand and tug it into your lap, threading your fingers into the gaps between his. The gesture is familiar and comforting, like cocoa in front of a lit fireplace, and you can't even begin to fathom the idea of another person sitting here and holding his hand in your stead.

"Just talk to me," Hoseok entreaties, squeezing your fingers. "Distract me. What's going on with you?"

You hum, swallowing down the lump in your throat and letting your head fall onto his shoulder as you pick through the events of the past week for the most interesting tidbits. "Bast has been bringing me dead rats lately," you finally say, nose scrunching at the memory. "You should see the size of them—they're almost bigger than he is. And they smell like the sewers, because I'm ninety-nine percent sure that's where he's getting them from. It's horrid."

Hoseok huffs out a stilted laugh. "Sewer rats? Gross."

"It's not all bad, to be honest," you tell him, nestling a little closer to the warmth of his body. Hoseok keeps his apartment chillier than you're accustomed to, and you're beyond grateful for the furnace-like heat he gives off naturally. "The bones are pretty useful. The tails too, provided you don't tell people what they actually are."

His laugh is much more genuine this time. "Tricky little minx," he says, amusement lacing his tone. "I've always liked that about you."

You ignore the uptick in your heart rate at his approval, grateful that he can't see your face as a pulse of heat flushes your cheeks. Instead, you burrow into the crook of his neck, breathing in his scent. Hoseok smells like the forest—fresh and woodsy, with a slight floral undercurrent from his fabric softener. It smells like home, and you smile when his arm comes up to wrap around your shoulders.

"Jin came by today," you murmur.

"Yeah?" The monosyllabic response rumbles through his chest.

"Yeah. He asked about you, too. You should probably text him later."

Hoseok hums a confirmation, and, satisfied, you cuddle a little closer to him. You pull at the afghan he keeps laid over the back of the couch, laying it comfortably over your lap as he rests his head gently atop yours, his ear pressed to your crown. Your eyes fall shut as you listen to the rhythmic thud of his pulse—solid and steady, backed by the soft hum of the refrigerator and distant traffic on the street far below.

It's comfortable, sitting with him like this. Comfortable, stroking his arm with your fingertips, in time with the drumbeat of his heart. Ever so gradually, Hoseok's breathing evens out, and you briefly think that you could stay like this—encapsulated in this delicate, iridescent bubble of contentment—for the rest of your life.

You know the thing about bubbles, though? Bast remarks dryly in your head. They burst.

I know, you sigh.

I know.

///

There's something soothing about taking inventory—something calming in the repetition of walking down the aisles of Hellebore and restocking the shelves one by one. You'd woken this morning to an apologetic Hoseok making pancakes in the kitchen, his residual heat and woodsy scent lingering on the blanket tucked around your body. After a harried breakfast and a promise to text you later, Hoseok rushed off to the office.

You, in turn, returned to your shop, where you grabbed every ounce of cleaning supplies you possess and scrubbed the place from top to bottom, foregoing all of your usual dishwashing charms and dust-clearing jinxes. The physical labor is a welcome distraction from the events and revelations of last night, and you've thrown yourself wholeheartedly into all the chores you need to complete.