T w e n t y - F o u r

[  1 month later  ]

~ Emily ~

"No, you can't be serious, Skyler!"

"Oh yes, I am!"

"My mom won't allow it!"

"And how exactly can you say that, even before asking her?"

"Skye," I huffed even though she couldn't see me through the phone call.

"Baby, you just take your mom's permission while Derek will take the responsibility to confront Vincent about this whole thing."

I sighed, "I'll ask her, but if something goes wrong, I'll -"

She giggled, "Mhm, we'll see about that, Em."

"Okay, I'm hanging up now. Bye, troublemaker."

"Byeee, scaredy cat!" She cooed, followed by a chuckle.

.

*
.

I was standing in front of my mom's room.

I knew that she was sweet and understanding. I'd never pushed her limits before, like I was going to.

I gulped and knocked, "Mom?"

Shortly, she opened the door, and I then realised that I'd interrupted her conversation with somebody on the phone, "Okay honey, call me later when you're free then, good night. Oh, I forgot, for you it's morning, right?"

It was dad.

After a moment, she hung up the call, and I followed her into the room, "Mom, I want to ask you something." To which, she eyed me carefully.

She then strode towards her nightstand and passed her bottle to me, "Here, drink some water, first. You're such a nervous wreck, Emily."

I gulped down the water and instantly felt less tensed, "Thank you, mom."

"Now, you wanted to say something?"

I nodded, and a nervous chuckle escaped my throat, "Uh, you know that, um, tomorrow is a Saturday, which is also a holiday, so we were just wondering..."

"Hm, wondering what?"

I took a deep breath and decided to say it in one go, "If-we-could-have-a-sleepover-here."

"Sorry?"

I sighed, "You heard it, mom."

She chuckled, "Yeah, I did hear it, but I wasn't sure if my daughter just asked me this. I'm more than sure that this bright idea didn't pop up in your head. Right?"

I shrugged, "Maybe."

She sat on her bed and patted the area beside her, so I quickly complied and seated there.

"So, you were planning to make the most out of it when I'm leaving for the weekend?"

"Oh, mom!"

"Okay, fine, just kidding." She lifted her arms in surrender, "Your permission is granted."

My eyes widened, "What?"

"You heard it."

Without furthing thinking, I wrapped my arms around her, "Thank you, thank you, thank you, mom."

She laughed lightly, "Okay, okay, I'm allowing this because I trust you and secondly, because you've been studying really hard for the past month for the exams, so you deserve some time to catch up and spend quality time with your friends."

She put extra emphasis on friends, which suggested that she had a certain somebody on her mind.

I coughed, "Yeah right, mom."

.

*
.

"Emilyyy!" Skye squealed and hugged the air out of me.

"Calm down, Skye."

"How can I calm down when we are granted to have a sleepover at your house!"

"Oh, but you sounded so sure yesterday, as if you had already settled things with my mom."

She pulled away, allowing to me breath in properly, "That was just mere optimism."

Knock Knock!

She smiled at me mischievously, "Looks like your loverboy is here."

I narrowed my eyes at her, "Owing to your big mouth, I'll surely land in trouble one day." To which she stuck her tongue out.

Looks like it would be more babysitting than sleepover.

I opened the door. It indeed was Vincent along with Derek.

"Good morning, Emily!" Derek greeted, sounding so excited.

"Very good morning to you two." I welcomed them in.

"Derek!" Exclaimed Skye and strode towards him, doing a fist-bump with each other.

She then eyed his luggage, "What's in the bag? You do know that we're here for just a day and not a month."

He rolled his eyes, "I know that, bro. It's some essential stuff for all of us." He winked at her, and she nodded knowingly.

What were they up to?

"Vincent!"

Our attention then diverted towards a rushing Emil.

Vincent kneeled on the floor, "Emil dude, long time no see." He said, giving a high-five to Emil.

They grew quite fond of each other within the past few months.

Noticing Vincent's fast progress, his counseling sessions were cut short to once a week, so that's exactly why they were very affectionate now.

"Thank you for the cookies, dude. They were really tasty."

Vincent looked at me for a moment before answering him, "Welco -"

Derek chimed in, "Wait, what cookies? You didn't give me any cookies, though. Huh Vi?"

Vincent suddenly looked rather nervous like a kid who was caught stealing chocolates, "Uh, Derek, it was..."

I cleared my throat, "Well guys, it's time for breakfast now. So let's eat first and then talk. Hmm?"

That seemed to have caught everybody's attention.

Derek grinned, "Yeah Emily, after all, food is priority. So lead the way, miss."

Had he already forgotten about the cookies-drama?

I smiled, "Yeah, sure."

Vincent then shot me a grateful look, which didn't go unnoticed by Derek.