F o u r t e e n

~ Emily ~

"How about The End of darkness?"Skyler suggested as we were scanning through the books in the school library.

"Skye, did you really forget that we have to read to kids? How about we pick something more suitable?" I suggested, and she pouted at me.

The volunteering was only next week, but Derek asked us to help with finalising  the books to read to children.

His father had assigned him to do this work, but he passed it to us, excusing that he had a history project to do.

We would need to borrow the whole library, considering the amount of kids who would be in the program but no need of that - as we just have to borrow a few books and write down the names of the remaining books, so the investors in this charity will sort it out.

There were going to be a lot of students from different schools who would work as volunteers.

My introverted self was not very fond of mingling with such a huge crowd, but Derek practically begged me to volunteer. He said that he's gonna give me a surprise on that day.

Well,  let's just say that surprises don't sit well with me.

"I know, I suck at this because I have no idea of, what to do with kids. Remember, I have no younger siblings?" She whined.

Okay. That was a lame excuse.

"Fine, whatever. I'll pick a few story books while you keep me company." I said.

"That will be better, I think." She giggled.

She's happy as long as she doesn't have to do anything. Lazy Skyley. I giggled silently.

"Hello!" She waved in front of my face, "daydreaming already?"

I snapped out of it, "No. I wasn't."

"So, how's your loverboy doing these days?" Skye asked as she skimmed through a random book.

Loverboy? Vincent?

"He's getting better - I hope." I said in a low voice as I tip-toed and picked a book from the shelf.

"Found it!" I grinned in happiness.

"What?" Skye shot me a bored look.

"Little hearts." I replied.

"And what is that?" She asked again.

"It's a book. Duh." I stated.

"No dip sherlock." She grew impatient.

"It's a book for kids. My dad had once read it to me in my childhood. I love it." I clutched the book to my chest.

"Do you miss him a lot?" She asked genuinely.

"A little, but he'll be back soon, I know." I replied.

"Emily!" I heard a voice calling me.

I immediately recognised it as Vincent's.

I turned around and saw a... well, not a very happy looking Vincent.

"Y-Yeah?" I asked nervously.

I guess the counseling may not have gone too well.

He strode towards me and stood at an arm's length.

"Emily, may I know that, how many more people have you given my phone number to?" He asked in an impossibly calm tone, which suggested that he's fuming inside.

"W-What?" I seriously didn't know what he was talking about.

"First Derek and then a creepy stranger who texted me. Were you planning this all along? Huh?" He asked angrily, and I gulped.

"Vincent, I didn't -"

Derek cut me, "Woah woah, what's wrong here?" Maybe he would've overheard our conversation in the quiet library.

"I just happen to hear you accusing Emily of something she didn't do." Derek said to Vincent.

"What do you mean?" Vincent asked, irritated.

"I meant that, nope, Emily didn't give your phone number to me." Derek stated.

"Then who did?" The color from Vincent's face was draining now as realisation hit him.

Derek scratched the back of his neck. "Well, I went to the staff room yesterday to submit my due notes and found your register laying freely on the table. That's how I got your number. I didn't think that you'll make such a fuss over it."

"Oh. Then,..  what about the other person who texted me?" Vincent asked.

Derek just shrugged. "Could be some prank, dude."

Vincent sighed sadly and turned towards my direction.

His eyes were truly apologetic, and anybody could see that he was feeling guilty.

"Emily. . . I am sor -" I interrupted him.

"It's fine, Vincent. Glad, that the misunderstanding is cleared." I smiled at him.

I was honestly not angry over his little outburst. He had his reason for it.

I know how hard it was for him to apologise, considering what he has been going through lately. I know that he wasn't always this arrogant.

Vincent's emotions gave away his apology, so he doesn't need to put it in words.

He nodded at me.

"So guys, you both -" Derek pointed to Skyler and I, "can carry on the book hunt while Vincent and I head to the cafeteria." He grinned at me.

Vincent shot me one last apologetic look before Derek dragged him out of the library. Literally dragged.

"Emily, I have never asked you this before, but... why him?" Skye put her hand on my shoulder and looked at me sympathetically.

I just smiled at her and shrugged.

How am I supposed to answer her when I myself did not know the exact reason why I loved Vincent?

Yet, I love him and will always.