S e v e n

~ Emily ~

And just like that, the news was echoing all over the Northington High.

'Did you hear that Vincent's grandmother had passed away due to blood cancer?'

'Vincent? Vincent, who?'

'That weird one who doesn't talk to anybody but his freak of a girlfriend, Hannah.'

This was one of the conversations I overheard about Vincent. They talk so awfully loud that even a deaf person would hear it.

I had to possess some serious self-controlling attributes to keep myself from yelling at the gossiping students.

How can they say such things about Vincent or anybody for that matter?

The demise of a student's family member isn't the juiciest gossip for teenagers, but this was all they had to gush about until they got something else. Something new.

Pathetic.

I can't even wrap my head around Vincent's current condition.

What he might be going through now.

I'm genuinely sad for him.

One good thing about the disgusting gossip is that I learned about the church where the funeral will be held.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sure that I'll pay my respect towards Mrs. Lillian Zaphyr and attend her ceremony.

Vincent hasn't attended the school for the last two days, and today, the reason for his absence had finally leaked out somehow.

I'm afraid that the pain would've taken a large toll on him.

My thoughts were interrupted when Skyler came rushing towards me and held me by my shoulders.

She started in a breathless voice,"Did you hear about -"

I cut her midway, "Yeah I did." I lowered my line of sight towards my shoes.

Skye lifted my head and asked,"Em, have you been crying?"

My silence was all the answer she needed.

"Oh my God, Emily," With that, she embraced me in a warm hug. "It's okay."

"So, you're going to the funeral tomorrow." It wasn't a question. Skye knew that I would go, no matter what.

I nodded anyway.

"Your mom would allow you? It's a week day." She pointed out.

"I'll do something about it." That was all that left my mouth.

She nodded with understanding.

"Have you seen Heather?" I asked her.

I hope that she will be there with Vincent now.

"Yeah, in the cafeteria this morning." Skye simply answered. "Of course she has never taken a leave, I've heard that her parents are really strict about her academics."

I sighed.

So, he is alone.

The rest of the day went painfully slow. I couldn't concentrate on anything that was being taught. I'm normally an attentive listener in class, but ever since...

At the end of school day, I gave a quick goodbye to Skye and walked home.

"Mom!" I called as I stepped through the front door.

"Yeah, honey! What happened?" From the kitchen, my mom came into my view.

Thank God she is here!

"Can we sit and talk?" I asked.

She nodded before taking the couch.

She might have sensed the importance of the situation.

"Tell me darling, what's bothering you?" Worry was laced in her voice.

I got straight to the point.

"Mom, I want to attend the funeral of my classmate's grandmother. It's tomorrow, can I go?" I pleaded with my eyes.

She thought for a moment.

"Hmm, the classmate must be special for you, then why not introduce them as a friend, at least?" She asked with suspicion.

I don't think Vincent and I are friends.

I would be amazed if he even knows my name.

"You can go, Emily. I was just trying to lighten you up." She assured me seeing my nervousness.

What? Really!

"Thank you so much, mom! I love you!" I hugged her happily.

"Some special classmate, I see," my mom teased me while I was pacing to my room.

She's right, though.

.

*
.

At the moment, I'm standing in the middle of the crowd wearing all black, paying condolences to Vincent's family.

It was drizzling lightly, and I'm grateful towards my mom that she insisted on taking an umbrella, along with me.

Hymns were sung, and the priest was preaching about life and death and how death is better than life as the deceased person would be free of worldly worries.

I personally do not find it very helpful to say such things to the family who had experienced such a loss.

Then again, he's doing his job and trying to make them feel better.

All this while, my eyes searched for a particular person who was nowhere in sight.

Maybe all these formalities are just too much to bear for him.

But.

When it was time for the coffin burial, I saw him.

I saw Vincent walking towards the burial area to pay one last look to his loving grandmother.

He didn't have an umbrella with him, but that just seemed to be in the least of his worries right now.

His face was expressionless as though he had no more strength to cry, but the sight was indeed heartbreaking.

They might've been really close, then.

I wasn't in the front row or anywhere near his sight.

I do not want him to see me. We aren't even acquaintances, then what in the world would I give as an excuse if he notices me?

He isn't that oblivious towards his classmates. He recognises them, even if he may not know their names.

After the final prayer, the coffin was buried six feet deep in the ground.

Where, they're free of any worldy worries, as the priest said.

"Rest In Peace, dear grandma," I mumbled feebly, as a lone tear slipped through my eye.