T e n

~ Emily ~

I don't think I've ever been this nervous for a while.

I lost count of how many deep breathing sessions I took.

Emily, you just need to ask your mom to help your friend. That's it. Now, go for it.

But things weren't that easy.

I had to take a leave from school today, as I was too late and on top of it, my mom was lowkey mad at me, for not showing up early.

She may have thought that I had been caught up in nature's beauty and forgot about how quickly the time went.

But now, I was going to explain. Everything.

I'll skip the part of my feelings towards Vincent. Obviously.

I'll introduce her to Vincent, just as a friend.

Okay, now, I got this.

Taking one last deep breath, I knocked at my mom's door. She, too, is having a day off from her work due to unknown reasons.

"Mom. It's me." I said in a low voice.

I turned my head and saw Emil grinning at me, like a mischievous cat.

"You didn't go to school today!" No. It wasn't a question.

"Says who? The hypocrite, herself." He crossed his arms.

Okay. He's got a point there.

"But wh -" My sentence was cut off when my mom opened the door. Finally.

I narrowed my eyes towards my dear brother and mouthed, "This isn't over."

"It's okay, sis. I'm waiting." He replied in an impossibly fake innocent voice.

"Are you getting in, Emily?" Mom asked me.

"Yeah, yeah." I said quickly and got in the room.

She closed the door behind us and sat comfortably on her bed while I sat on the couch, just beside the bed.

"You owe me answers." My mom said as she crossed her arms.

"Yeah, and that is why I'm here, mom. So, shall we start our happy talking, then?" I finished with a nervous chuckle.

I'm sure that this is gonna be anything but happy talking.

Thankfully, she smiled and motioned me to begin with whatever I had to say.

"So,  I started my morning walk as you know, and when I reached the cliff region, I saw my. . . classmate standing at the edge of it and was sobbing. I immediately stopped him. He's got some issues, and he needs somebody to help him even though he won't agree to it ever. So, I offered him that you would listen to what he has to share and try to make things better. He is stubborn not to take any money from his parents for this. So, " I put an end to my breathless rambling.

"So, I'll have to do it without taking any fee. Right?" She asked me without any trace of sarcasm.

Does that mean she's agreeing?